Why Do So Many Women Complain about Wearing a Bra?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

LeslyAllen
Miss Crystal Goddess

wearing a bra

Post by LeslyAllen »

I often where a b cup so that people don't really know what to think when I am out doing ordinary errands. I do wear my victoria secret jeans with 2.5" heels but no one has ever said a word to me. I can wear by VS bra and Jeans for 18 hours with my no nonsense panty hose without any problem . Lesly allen
Christina Huffman
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Christina Huffman »

I definitely understand - I was dressing Seattle this summer during a freak heat wave out there where it got up to 100˚ F. I was wearing a light cotton bra, and it was still incredibly uncomfortable.
Christina Huffman

"Ocean-going ships are safest in port, but that is not what ships are built for."
-Unknown
Janice SO
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Janice SO »

When you have breasts, gravity is not your friend.
Nor is pregnancy. Three babies in three years has ensured my HATE of bras.
I think the "poor fit" problem is key to disliking bras.
However, how can one tell if they are choosing the correct fit when they have to do the: head between your knees, roll, lift, stuff, cram, bounce around, and then pluck and tug technique to get it on and in the right place. :roll:
Lord, I do hate bras.

Janice SO
Carly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Carly »

My wife complained a lot about how uncomfortable her bra was. First I said she should be fitted. Maybe she had the wrong size. When she continued complaining, I volunteered to wear it instead. She has not compained again.
Carly
DanteCarrie (FTM)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by DanteCarrie (FTM) »

i think the issue affects bigger breasted women more.

I'm a B and can afford to go without if I want but my reasons for not wanting to wear a bra is because i like to crossdress as a boy but when I'm girly I don't really dislike them too much. without is more fun and the straps do slip off alot which irritates me but thats about it.
Wesley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: Why Do So Many Women Complain about Wearing a Bra?

Post by Wesley »

Regarding the issue, I have to agree 100% with Kandis's comment:

As to wearing a bra as a CD, Trust me when using my forms and wearing a bra for a prolonged period of time, there comes a point where even I have to say "Gods I cannot wait to get this bra off".

Which is why I enjoy cool fall weather. . perfect time to wear a bra and forms. . . (size 5 forms) 38B ish. . .

My SO (wife) does not complain nearly as much since changing over to sports bras.
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

I dont complain I just dont wear them and have not for over 2 years, the reason i stoped was i had a fall and dressing in any clothes was not fun so i had help for a while with my clothes ,
try getting dressed and spend over 1/2 an hour to just put knickers a skirt and tops on let alone socks and shoes , and this went on for some months and on top of that just doing any other normal detail ,

My fall consided of right arm left shoulder right knee and just under my breast left side so now spos i wont bother now as i dont need them and being female so i think that should be a very good reason all my injurys are okay so it took about 18 months to get better,

and the cause taking on a large tripod doing photography it won i triped on the out rigger .

...noeleena...
Eileen (SO)

Re:

Post by Eileen (SO) »

SilverLady(SO) wrote:
with a woman who is going through menopause, and, well, we have a right to complain about them!! Am I not right, my fellow GG's?

- SL
Wearing a bra for fun is quite different from having to wear one ALL THE TIME! The last time the weather was really hot, I teased the husband as to why he wasn't dressing up as much. When he said it was too hot to wear a bra, I just laughed. Big sissy.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Eileen (SO) wrote:Wearing a bra for fun is quite different from having to wear one ALL THE TIME!
Eileen
Amen Eileen! I have seen it from both sides and there is a difference. I suppose I could get away without one as I a just a B and even though gravity has taken its toll they don't sag that much, still I wear one everyday! Granted there are times come 5 in the afternoon when I am home for the night and not expecting anyone to show up I might slip it off, especially on those hot muggy days.

The best thing one can do is make sure you are wearing the right size and style for your breasts. I never used to wear an underwire bra then I found this one particular Warner's bra and now I wear an underwire bra just about everyday! Not all 36B's are created equal and I can only imagine that intensifies with larger sizes.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

I'm with Eileen and Diana. When I get home from my fem days out, I'm happy to get my bra off and rub my boobs and generally get my skin happy again. Now my bras fit just fine, but anything setting on the skin in one spot with an edge of any kind will just make you skin unhappy. I'm one of those girls when she visits the ladies room, I'll take that moment to shift the bra a bit. Get my skin comfy again; make sure the girls are where they are supposed to be, etc.

I have pretty bras and most are comfortable, but again, being set in one spot for so long just gets uncomfortable after awhile.
{squeezes}
Davita
Sarah Ann
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Ann »

I blame the manufacturers for a lot of it. There is no consistency whatsoever in fit, cup shape, etc., across brands or even styles that are all supposedly the same size. What my breasts actually measure and what supposed sizes fit me comfortably and supportively are two different things entirely. When I stumble on a bra that fits well, I tend to stock up on them before the style disappears.
I'm a girl with minor additions ^^_||
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Sarah Ann wrote: When I stumble on a bra that fits well, I tend to stock up on them before the style disappears.
Isn't that always the way! :( I have had that so many times it is ridiculous. At least with the internet we can look all over the world for them rather than just a few local stores like we were limited to back in the 80's!
Davita wrote: I'm one of those girls when she visits the ladies room, I'll take that moment to shift the bra a bit.
I think with some women bra fidgeting is an Olympic sport, or at least it should be! :lol: I think we have all done that at times but I know women it is almost like a necessity. I used to have a friend (GG) who spent so much time doing it I told her to go get fitted. After some time she did and found out she was not a 34B like she thought she was but rather a 38C. No wonder she hated wearing a bra!

Finally what I don't think many realize is that a bra wears out like all clothing does. Maybe if you only wear one a couple of days a week for a few hours it is one thing but when it is a daily thing for 12 or more hours a ay they really do! I have read you should replace a bra after 6 months. That sounds perhaps a bit radical to me as I rotate what bra to wear on a given day. Now did they discontinue the bra I am trying to replace? :)
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Sarah Ann
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Ann »

Diana Michelle wrote:
Sarah Ann wrote: When I stumble on a bra that fits well, I tend to stock up on them before the style disappears.
Isn't that always the way! :( I have had that so many times it is ridiculous. At least with the internet we can look all over the world for them rather than just a few local stores like we were limited to back in the 80's!
Davita wrote: I'm one of those girls when she visits the ladies room, I'll take that moment to shift the bra a bit.
I think with some women bra fidgeting is an Olympic sport, or at least it should be! :lol: I think we have all done that at times but I know women it is almost like a necessity. I used to have a friend (GG) who spent so much time doing it I told her to go get fitted. After some time she did and found out she was not a 34B like she thought she was but rather a 38C. No wonder she hated wearing a bra!
The trouble with the internet is that you can't try them on. I find my best bargains at clearance outlets like TJ Maxx, Ross, and Beall's, where the selections are more varied because they are buying from a number of different department stores. Same for other shapewear.

The 34B story reminds me of any number of ladies I used to see around the office who'd have the impression of raised flesh, sometimes half an inch or more deep, visible around their bra straps showing through their blouses in the back, which to me was painful simply to behold.

On the fidgeting, the habit some have of rolling their shoulders while waiting in lines or such has left me wondering if it's not bra discomfort but simply a nervous displacer like the way some girls constantly pluck at and pull down their jacket or blouse hems, etc. (a good feminine habit to practice copying if you don't do it already, BTW). It's a cinch that those who do it continually haven't a clue how it looks...... :lol:
I'm a girl with minor additions ^^_||
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Davita wrote: When I get home from my fem days out, I'm happy to get my bra off and rub my boobs and generally get my skin happy again. Now my bras fit just fine, but anything setting on the skin in one spot with an edge of any kind will just make you skin unhappy. I'm one of those girls when she visits the ladies room, I'll take that moment to shift the bra a bit. Get my skin comfy again; make sure the girls are where they are supposed to be, etc.

I have pretty bras and most are comfortable, but again, being set in one spot for so long just gets uncomfortable after awhile.
When I was dressing at home I never thought much about a bra but now that I am out and about I understand many of the things you are talking about here. #-o . I'm with you Davita when it comes to those hot muggy days. Feels good to get the soaked bra off! Thankfully Heather's first summer out hasn't been a bad one, a far change from last year.

I do have a question though for those like Davita, Diana, and Eileen who shed their bras in the hot weather, does that also go for winter or it is just a humidity thing?
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Heather,
I happy to get out of my bra any time. I like my girls, but I dont wear them all the time so they can get heavy after a full day. When I am out and about, it's usually eight hours or more. So the chewing of the bra seams and edges, the weight and just having a long full day, are all good reasons to let the girls out to roam free until the next time.
{squeezes}
Davita