Why Do So Many Women Complain about Wearing a Bra?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Sissy
Miss Silver Goddess

Why Do So Many Women Complain about Wearing a Bra?

Post by Sissy »

I have met quite a few women who complain about wearing a bra but they don't explain why. I recently wore a bra for 21 hours straight and also wore panties, thigh high stockings and garter belt for the same time. I enjoyed it. So why don't women?
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

In a nutshell, Sissy, because bras tend to become or feel 'tight' after a while, and they retain heat causing us to perspire - which is very uncomfortable, especially on hot and humid days.

Combine just those couple of things (and more?) with a woman who is going through menopause, and, well, we have a right to complain about them!! Am I not right, my fellow GG's?

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Celia
Moderator and "Princess of Chat"

Post by Celia »

I don't know that it's just GG's who have issues with bras. The undergarments are warm and snug - all well and good during the cooler months, but, during the warmer, I find myself increasingly wanting to do without. I'm sure plenty of GG's endure a similar temptation, but yielding to it for them can be rather more socially awkward than it is for us. If I were under some social obligation to wear a bra most of the time, regardless of how uncomfortable it might be under the circumstances, I think I'd complain about it too. :)

-Celia
Only the young die young.
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Well I can see the women's point of view, I wear all the time all day.
But after a days work around the house or outside doing what ever has to be done a bra does become thight and uncomfortable and really I cann't wait to go inside and take it off. Another thing during the summer stockings become very warm and uncomfortable to wear. (--) Carol Ann
Anne Geraux
Miss Silver Goddess

bra cozy

Post by Anne Geraux »

I likie wearing a bra

the restriciton and the cosy-ness is fun

even if it is a little "constiction"

that is sexy

Anne
I love to dress up. I love the feel of feminine undergarments on my skin.
I imagine that I could be in full dressup always and pass in public as a totally frue-frue girrly girl.
Anne Murray (SO)
Miss Crystal Goddess

wearing a bra

Post by Anne Murray (SO) »

Its fine wearing a bra for the 21 hours as you say, but think of us girls who have a lot to carry around inside their bra. I am a 40dd, and can tell you its not great being like that, and wearing a bra does get painfull, hot, and all the other things we girls complain about. I get so annoyed when i hear young girls talk of having breast enlargements, if only they knew half the problems, they would be happy as a small girl, i know for one that i would
Anne
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

I don't know that I hate wearing a bra but some can be very uncomfortable after a while. I went to a wedding of a dear friend last weekend and wore an LBD with a low cut front so I bought a WonderBra to give me that extra oomph! Believe me after almost 8 hours in it I was definitely glad when I got home and could take it off and give the "girls" ome freedom. If I had to do it over again I would probably have worn the WonderBra but I probably would have shucked it in the parking lot before my hour drive home.
Stormy(SO)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Stormy(SO) »

(((((((((((SL))))))))))))))) you are absolutely correct! I know when Missy and I golf together we get back home and my bra is soaked.....hers is not so she has no idea why I'm out of that thing as fast as I can get.....also in the evenings, I'll come home from work and if we're in for the evening I'm out of the bra!! Maybe it's because I was part of the "burn the bra" era and also lobbied to be able to wear slacks to work......and I'll happily tell you I'm going to be 56 years old at the end of the year. While bras, garter belts, corsets, thongs, fishnet stockings, etc. can all be very sexy they are not always pleasant to wear - so don't! When you find a thong you like buy one in every color they have. Corsets take time to "break in" and they are absolutely delicious. Garter belts you can keep!....one they invited thigh highs I never looked back!! Fishnet stockings make my feet burn if I'm dancing all night.....and there you have it.....bras suck!

Light, love and laughter,
Stormy
Live well, Laugh often, Love much!
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: wearing a bra

Post by CJ »

Anne Murray (SO) wrote:...I get so annoyed when I hear young girls talk of having breast enlargements, if only they knew half the problems, they would be happy as a small girl...
Ditto, as I get this straight from the horse's mouth. My mother has had to undergo breast reduction surgery in the past. Partly as a defense against the possibility of her cancer returning but mostly because her doctor told her that her, uh, ample endowment, would eventually cause her many problems in the lower back area (especially given that she's had to wear high heels at her various workplaces well into her late 30s). But, though she's now smaller up there and has forsaken heels over the past two and a half decades, the damage may already be done; she does, indeed, have back problems.

As far as wearing bras, it's pretty simple, I think. Make sure your bra fits properly. I don't remember where I got the statistic from (Sears, maybe?) but over 80% of women wear ill-fitting bras. I'm supposing that percentage is even higher in men who wear bras, given that they'll often grab what's handy rather than a suitable fit. A comfortable bra should not bind nor pinch. Shop well, folks.

Love,
CJ
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

As a relatively recent bra wearer, I can attest to the need for a bra while being engaged in outdoor pursuits. I learned this as a passenger on a 4-wheeler recreation vehicle, bouncing over rocks, jumping small gullies, and jouncing across broken terrain, and this at a time when I thought I wasn't much bigger than I had been when doing the same thing a few years earlier. Well, lets say I payed for it for several days. Indoors at home I prefer not to wear a bra at all.

I also find it necessary to wear a bra, preferrably a sports bra, while working in the yard, and during my rare uses of a farm tractor to help my brother-in-law its a necessity. Yes sweating is a problem, a wee bit of chafing after 8+ hours on the tractor or combine, but a lot worse without it in soreness and nipple chafing from contact with the fabric of a shirt after 8+ hours. When you have breasts, gravity is not your friend.

Then there are the social reasons. Without a bra there are a couple of points moving and jiggling about about inside a shirt that often attract not so welcome interest, and a bra does reduce those points very well.

It's a lot different just playing dress-up for awhile. Even if you wear a bra, as you said for 21 hours just to look right, there is still an end to it and then you will not be wearing one for a good while. It feels good because you have a level of sexual excitement and you can put up with a lot for that excitement, but wearing it as a normal daily garment for a physical reason is just different. And even if you stuff it with weighted prostheses, it still doesn't let you understand a woman with a need to wear one for comfort, day in and day out. Try going full time for a year or even 6 months with glue on prostheses and wear a bra daily, and then see if you understand. :)
"It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,"
David Weber – In Fury Born
Sheena Rue GG

Post by Sheena Rue GG »

I know that I can't wait to get out of my bra at the end of the day. It's more from the under wires digging into the sides of my chest than anything. I know when we have a long day, (going out at night) it seems if I change into a fresh bra it's a lot more comfortable. I don't know why. Maybe it's mental.
Sheena Rue
Kandis
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kandis »

Sheena,

The idea of changing your bra before going out for the night and feeling better is probably because of a couple of reasons. 1) The fabric has not stretched and become wet due to either perspiration or normal body heat. 2) the cups may be less "stressed" and therefore offer more breast support which will alleviate some strain on shoulder and back muscles.

As to wearing a bra as a CD, Trust me when using my forms and wearing a bra for a prolonged period of time, there comes a point where even I have to say "Gods I cannot wait to get this bra off".
Kandis

I wear the bras and panties so she doesn't have to.
Sunshine Girl(SO)
E-mail address not valid - Contact Admin

Post by Sunshine Girl(SO) »

I'm a small B, so when ever possible, I go without. I work as a nurse, so I need to wear one for work, but it usually comes off in the car on the way home.

I do the sport bra thing around the farm and trips out to the store and such.

I have that pointy problem, too, but most times, I just don't care. It used to bother me quite a bit more when I was younger, but not now. (44)

Sunny :)
Just a country girl that's married to a real sweetheart and has come to understand his needs.
* * Email address not current as of 03-11-2009. Please contact SilverLady(SO) immediately!Thank You!! * *
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

Bras are okay for me in the winter but in the summer I don't even like a shirt. I see all the women at the gym wearing their bra and then for the well enowed ones a cami with shelf over that and then a tee shirt and I am very grateful to be a guy.

But bra's sure are fun when they are just optional for a little while.

Absaroka
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Georgia(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Georgia(SO) »

Carolyn said,
When you have breasts, gravity is not your friend.
Boy, is that ever the truth! Gravity over the years is *really* not your friend... :shock:

-g(so)