How versatile would cork colored pumps be?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

How versatile would cork colored pumps be?

Post by Jadeanne »

I have a question for the GGs:

I have seen in catalogs and on websites simulated cork as a color option for some shoes, namely pumps. They look a bit different, and I wonder how versatile they would be.

Could I consider them a neutral color, like plain tan, which would blend with a number of dresses/skirts tops that I already have?

Would they be considered as summer casual only or appropriate for year round wear?

Would they look out of place paired with an office style skirt suit or a more festive but not strictly formal outfit?

I just dress around the house, but this inquiring blonde would like to know.

Jadeanne
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Could I consider them a neutral color, like plain tan, which would blend with a number of dresses/skirts tops that I already have?
I would say so, using my imagination to see the pumps.

Would they be considered as summer casual only or appropriate for year round wear?
I think spring, summer and fall. Not winter.

Would they look out of place paired with an office style skirt suit or a more festive but not strictly formal outfit?
You getting old or something? You're retired! :mrgreen:
Depends on the color of the suit. Best with light colors, not too good with black or blue, IMO.

EDIT: OOOPs, didn't notice this was a Dear GG question. Shhh, don't tell anyone.
DonnaT
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Jadeanne -

I presume that you are actually referring to the shoes that are high heeled cork wedges - not 'pumps' per se - the difference being the actual heels. I have numerous pairs of high heel cork wedges in various colors and styles, and I love them for their versatility. The cork wedge can be either the lighter color (like that of a wine bottle cork) or the dark brown color.

Predominantly, cork wedges are the sandal-style (strappy toed) but more are looking like a leather open-toed sling back, too. Is that the style shoe you were asking about, Jadeanne?

The 'cork wedge' itself will not necessarily dictate the outfit - the color of the top portion and it's design will be the dictator. For example, I have 2 pairs of lighter-colored cork wedges where the 'tops' are white in color - however, one pair is much dressier in design so I would wear that pair with my dressier outfits.

Cork wedges that are in the 'strappy' or 'open toe sling back' design tend to be dressier so I would wear those with my better dresses and skirts. Other styles are more casual in appearance and I would wear those with my skorts and denim skirts.

Cork wedges have always been in style, and they are not restricted to spring-summer-fall wear. I have seen quite a few shoes with cork wedges that are in black, dark brown, burgundy, navy - so they can be worn during the 'winter' also. Of course, the darker color on top is usually found with a darker cork wedge, but not always!!

Cork wedges can be paired with just about any outfit - casual, festive, office-style, dressy, and even some formal outfits (but not all). Take a closer look at those fashion catalogs and web sites - you'll see that cork wedges are very versatile and can be worn with just about every outfit under the sun, no matter the season.

Pssst, Donna - I won't tell anyone that you answered a Dear GG question either!! :P

(--)

- SL
Last edited by SilverLady(SO) on Thu May 18, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

Thank you Donna and SilverLady,

Here is a link to the shoes I was looking at:

http://outlet.oldpueblotraders.com/page ... GORY=PUMPS

They are the ones that look like they have a light cork print, the bottom one in the picture.

Are these just a novelty color that's a fashion disaster?

Jadeanne
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Jadeanne -

I have *never* seen a shoe in that particular color, but I can see where it could look well with the right outfit. However, I'm thinking it will turn out to be one of those 'fashion disasters' ie - a novelty shoe - because of its limited use.

Personally, I'm not impressed with it and would either go a solid tan, natural, or brown color for the outfit - and then the shoes could be worn with more than one or two outfits!

So, Jadeanne - we both learned something here - - I gave you an education on cork wedges, and you showed me a cork-colored pump! Now, if you had only posted that link in your initial post I wouldn't be so :oops: by my long answer on cork wedges! #-o [-X :P

Can you tell that I just *love* my cork wedges? :)

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

Thank you, SilverLady.

It turned out that those shoes in that color aren't available in my size anymore at that price, so it's academic.

I don't have any cork wedges. My personal preference in femme footwear is for the general style of closed toe pump pictured in the URL from my 2nd post. Wouldn't be a boring world if everybody liked only the same exact things?

I do have a pair of light tan pumps so they should go well with the same outfits that I had in mind for the cork colored ones.

I have a couple of other ideas for questions about shoe colors but will save them for future threads.

Jadeanne
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Well, I like my closed-toe pumps, too - but they have to have the stiletto or 'french' heel and be at least 3" high!

Based on the thousands of shoes I've seen just at www.zappos.com I think the world is not so boring!! Not that I actually buy my shoes at Zappos, but I do check them out for comparison prices - and end up buying a knock-off at 50-70% less from Burlington Coat Factory, Target, Famous Footwear, or Rack Room Shoes! :mrgreen:

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

SilverLady,

I just looked quickly at Zappos and they certainly have variety, but the prices are way above my budget.

The most I paid for any femme footwear so far was about $21 for knee high leopard print boots with 2 1/2 inch heels from Roamans using an online coupon. I have several pairs of pumps from Kmart that were $5 or $7 on sale.

Jadeanne
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

SilverLady(SO) wrote:Jadeanne -

I have *never* seen a shoe in that particular color, but I can see where it could look well with the right outfit. However, I'm thinking it will turn out to be one of those 'fashion disasters' ie - a novelty shoe - because of its limited use.
Well, Jadeanne, I've got to tell you that I've finally seen a pair of cork-colored shoes. My opinion of them still stands - a novelty shoe color and a fashion disaster - and where did I see the shoes? You guessed it - on the clearance rack marked 75% off, and there were quite a few of them there! Guess I wasn't the only one who did not like that color of shoes!!

As far as Zappos is concerned, I do NOT buy my shoes from them as they are very expensive. Instead, I use the site to show the dh how much money I saved on the newest shoes purchased from Burlington, Target, etc. - my latest pair of stiletto heels from Burlington cost $15, but at Zappos it would have been $115 - so he has less complaints when I come home with yet another pair of high heels!! Ooooh, devious mind I have - - yep!!! :mrgreen:

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

Hi SilverLady,

Thanks for the update, now that you have actually seen them. Once in a while I like to purposely dress a little crazy (but only at home), so if the price is really right (single digit) I wouldn't rule them out.

The only real novelty footware (besides slippers) that I have are a pair of leopard print pumps and the leopard print boots I mentioned before.

Jadeanne
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Jadeanne!

Oooh, I'd love to have a pair of leopard-print high heels - pair them with either my black gaucho set or my black satiny stirrups and a leopard print tunic - wow!! What size are those pumps of yours?????? :-k :lol:

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

Hi SilverLady,

My leopard print pumps are 9 1/2 WW and the heels are only 1 3/4 inches.

Are they a little too large and the heels too low for you?

My usual femme shoe size is 10W or 9 1/2 WW.

Here is the URL:

http://www.oldpueblotraders.com/pagebui ... gory=PUMPS

If you could tell me your size I will PM or email if I find something you might like.

Jadeanne
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Jadeanne -
My leopard print pumps are 9 1/2 WW and the heels are only 1 3/4 inches.

Are they a little too large and the heels too low for you?

My usual femme shoe size is 10W or 9 1/2 WW.
Oh - those shoes are just a tad too large and the heels are way too low and too wide for this GG!! :)

Normally, I wear a 6.5 B (Medium), but in heels it could be anywhere from a 6B to a 7B, depending upon style and manufacturer - so I really need to try on shoes before I buy them.

You are right, as I prefer shoes with heels at least 3" but not higher than 4.5" - and at 4.5" high I'd prefer a .5" minimum platform for the toes, otherwise too much weight is on the toes and it strains my ankles. At this point in my life, I don't need a broken ankle!! :P

While I'd *love* to have a pair of leopard-print high heels, I don't 'need' them - - but I *do* need a pair of dressy, strappy gold high heels, preferably in a stiletto-type heel or slightly larger. I will find them - but in the meantime I'm having so much fun going out to different stores just looking for them! When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping!! Charge!!!!!!

Thanks for the offer - I really do appreciate it!

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)