Men and women growing older. Want a GG's opinion.

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Men and women growing older. Want a GG's opinion.

Post by Jeannie »

Hi GG's. I was at my Aunt Pearls assisted living today and got to thinking. I've been in nursing facilities often with my Mom,Aunts,uncles and inlaws. I see a big differance in how men and women age and It's just my opinion but I'd like a womans input if I'm wrong.
The Older women I see seem to adjust to aging much more than the men. I go to my Aunt Pearls every day and the women always are involved with the recreational therapist while the men sit in their rooms and mope. Women tend to develope real friendships in their lives and when their spouses are gone do just fine. They are used to doing most everything in a relationship and a man is not. When a man doesn't have his job and the sex ends he is like a lost puppy.
Even when the men are old they look for a woman who will take care of them and the women are like"Been there,done that,no thanks!" The women can do just fine having fun with their girlfriends and enjoying life as the men let it pass them by.
It's funny. Just this morning I was at my Aunt Pearls and all the women were in the atrium with an entertainer playing quitar and singing all old tunes. They were having a ball. I went into my Aunt's room to get her med box and ran into Dan and I said'Why aren't you out there having fun." He replied" I don't feel like it. You know I can't even get an erection anymore!" Men are jerks aren't they GG's. They can't even have a GG as a plutonic friend. Every woman friend to a man is someone he hasn't f----- yet. Am I off the mark in thinking this way? Women are way more capable in dealing with life than men. They have always had to do everything in a relationships and the men just go to work and screw. When a baby is born the mans life doesn't change at all. The women have to do most of the work and the rearing.I'm I right or wrong in thinking this way? Let me know. MEN! Hugs

Love
Jeannie
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

I gotta, I just gotta!!!!!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jeannie »

Hey Virginia! No fair! You're not a GG! Or are you Hon? My next door neighbor for the last ten years is a man of color and I was over there this afternoon all glammed up and he wanted to see the forum website. I showed him a picture of you and he said"Wow. She looks great" He is 6'6" and 285lbs of solid muscle with a shaved head and he looks like Issac Hayes and sounds like Barry White and is a musician. He has played keyboards with Brian McKnight and is a session musician. I was over there a couple of weeks ago to fix his toilet and he was there in his tighty whiteys. I said" Hey Bootsey. Do you have a permit for that thing?" All men are not created equal Virginia! Trust me!His name is Chris but we call him Bootsey. He's got the hots for you Hon! He's a pisser! His arms are bigger than my leg! :lol:

Love
Jeannie

PS. I have to post a picture of me and Bootsey. I look like a peanut next to him. He's a great guy!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hey, Jeannie - Remind your neighbor, Bootsey, that Virginia has an SO and is no longer available - even though Virginia won't tell anyone who the SO is!!! ::hmph:: Hey, Virginia, inquiring minds want to know!! :-k

Ok, Jeannie - in response to your question - IMHO, you are 150% correct, and this problem, if it's going to happen in men, starts long before the men become 'senior citizens' and I'm speaking from first-hand experience. No, I'm not a senior, but the dh is (and he's not a 'dear' either) at 69 (going on 2)!!

Now, I've been with the dh for 17.5 years - almost 10 married - and looking back I've realized that I married someone who likes to sit around and BPMC (b***h, p**s, moan and complain) about anyone and anything. He's terminally unhappy, dislikes change of any kind, doesn't want to do anything 'fun' anymore, and is very controlling. And it's not just my hubby who is this way, I see other male neighbors who are the same way, and they all grumble about each other!! Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black!! Double standards - argh!! !!arg!!

Women, on the other hand, are very social people, and as you are seeing for yourself they can adapt quite well to changes and some are much happier when their spouse dies, but not all. Women don't need to have sex, although I'm sure the seniors miss having it, too, but that's not the point.

I am the youngest in a 55+ adult park, and I've seen the whole spectrum of behavior that comes with aging. For instance, our park has a dance each month, and it's not unusual to see 'single ladies' come by themselves. Not only that, quite often the ladies will dance the waltzes and polkas with another lady and have a great time doing so, and no one thinks their dancing together is anything but 2 ladies having a good time; in fact, some of the married women will dance with another woman - just because! These ladies know they're 'not dead yet' and have, hopefully, a long life yet to live, and it's better to live that life being happy. On the other hand, I have yet to see 2 men dance with each other (who are non-gay, that is), let alone come to the dance without a female partner; they'd rather stay at home and veg out in front of that boob tube. Those are the males who have given up on life, and tend to be unhappy with everyone and everything.

So no, Jeannie, you are NOT wrong in your way of thinking, at least not in my humble opinion, for I see the exact same attitude that you are describing on a daily basis. Again, not all men act like this, and I'm not 'lumping' all men together, by any means. However, for those men who do act like a bunch of 2-year-olds in senior citizen clothing, it's no wonder, then, that some women wish their husbands dead!!

(--)

- SL

PS to my CD: You are the exact opposite of my hubby, and I fell in love with your mind and personality first, then your awesome good looks! You greatly enjoy life and people, and want to experience the most life has to offer - as do I. I would be lost if you were no longer in my life. *^^*
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Men are babies!

Post by Jeannie »

They all want a Mommy. Women are much better at tolerating physical pain. Men complain if they have to go for a prostate exam and women have to edure much more pain and discomfort with OBGYN exams and mammograms and never complain. Men are the stronger sex. I think not! They are the wussies! If the world were run by women it would be a much better place They would think long and hard about going to war before killing the children they bore and would negotiate and killing would be the last resort.I hate to say this Silver Lady but men f----- up the world. Who has been in charge for the last thousands of years? Men. Women have always been second class citizens and sadly that is true today. There are few women as CEOs and world leaders. Why? Because it's a man's world unfortunately. They have made a mess with their aggressive nature,lack of commom sense and are only good for perpetuating the species. There are very few who are loving,caring people.
I was at my GG friend on saturday night for dinner. She was married to an awful man for twenty five years. She left him last year and moved into her own home. She lost weight,looksgreat,is intelligent,has a wonderful career and met a man a few months later and was very happy. When I went over to her house last saturday night I asked her how it was going and she started to cry. She said it has been 25 years since she slept with another man and she found out her new boyfriend was married. How Sweet! I felt so bad for her. What a freaking pig. It happens all to often. Maybe that's why I not thrilled with being a man. For me it's not an issue of being dressed as a woman. It's an issue of never feeling like a man. Hugs

Love
Jeannie
Georgia(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Georgia(SO) »

Wow. I don't quite know what to say here. Although my mother is in an assisted living facility, it's 1100 miles away and I have yet to meet the men in there. However...I can say a few things here. I think that you are generalizing broadly. Certainly there are men who BMPC, but God knows there are plenty of women who do so too - they just call it whining when a woman does that. (My mother doesn't - but she never did...).

I think that much of how a person ages depends on how that person felt about life in general. If they identified themselves with work - if that was the end-all and be-all of their existence, then yes, they are going to be lost when work ends - whether by retirement, layoffs or just plain getting fired. Ditto with a person who identifies their existence through parenthood - then you get those who are lost at the Empty Nest. It happens that the men who are nursing home age were primarily the breadwinners; the women, however, who are lost upon Empty Nest may not be the ones at the nursing homes. They may have guilted the kids into taking them into the kids' homes.

And having never had a prostrate exam, I am supremely unqualified to judge the physical pain - it really doesn't sound pleasant. OTOH, I've never had an OBGYN exam s*hurt*. As for the pain of childbirth, well...there comes a point that something hurts so bad that you have no words for it....

No, I don't agree that in general men age any better than women. I think that women may have developed better social skills - or, alternately, that they spent 30 or 40 years of their lives taking care of everyone else in their family all day and are just thrilled stupid to not have to wash dishes anymore!

-g
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

If we sit around hating men we are really hating ourselves.

Absaroka
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jeannie »

I don't hate men(Oh No!) but just think that they don't develop their coping skills to the degree females do. As for a prostate exam Georgia. It's a non issue for me Hon but then again how many men that you know mark the appointment on their refrigerator calendar with hearts and a smiley face?My Uroligist is real cute also! The last time I went he told me once a year is enough, not every week! :( :( :(
One of my customers is a Gastroenterologist and for our 50th birthdays I set up colonoscopies for me and my wife. Who says romance is dead. His name is Dr. Smiley and I don't know what he was exactly doing back there Hon but he sent me a dozen roses the next day but he never called! MEN! :lol: Hugs

Love
Jeannie

PS Differant strokes for differant folks! Georgia just look at my picture gallery. No too much of a flamer! :lol:
Stephanie W
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Stephanie W »

SL
Hey, Jeannie - Remind your neighbor, Bootsey, that Virginia has an SO and is no longer available - even though Virginia won't tell anyone who the SO is!!! ::hmph:: Hey, Virginia, inquiring minds want to know!!
I just KNEW that was coming!!!! ..rofl..
I am the youngest in a 55+ adult park, and I've seen the whole spectrum of behavior that comes with aging.

You seem to be aging well as you don't look 55+ in your avatar. ***huh***

Jeannie - I agree we shouldn't be down on all men but I have noticed the same thing you are talking about. Older women do seem to find a new lease on life once they unlock those 'golden years'. I hope [-o< SilverLady is having as much fun in her golden years as the ladies you described. :P

Stephanie
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hey, SW -

YOU are older than ME, and *we* seem to look pretty darn good for our age!! :P Hey, I'll happily admit to being all of 43 years young - and I still get 'carded' too!! !!tongue!!

Absaroka - we're not 'guy hating' here - - but from what I have observed over the years, having lived in "55+ adult parks" for the past 18 years, is that generally the women adapt so much better to aging, whereas more often than not the opposite sex become "grumpy old men." I will admit, however, that I do know of some women who become "grumpy" as they age, and men who "find a new lease on life once they unlock those 'golden years'".

Yes, I do think that women have developed better social skills than men, despite the fact that most businesses to this day are still run by men. I won't even begin to discuss the infamous 'glass ceiling' as that belongs in Hot Topics. The better social skills by women ultimately leads to a happier life in general, no matter their age. It seems like men are more apt to be a 'type A' personality, which adds to their being 'grumpy' senior citizens. Just an observation, not a fact.

SW - - I'll let you know how I'm handling those 'golden years', but I've got a long way to go before I get there!! :mrgreen:

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Stephanie W
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Stephanie W »

SL
YOU are older than ME, and *we* seem to look pretty darn good for our age!!

The only difference is that they would never let ME in a 55+ trailer park - unless I was visiting maybe. !!tongue!!
Hey, I'll happily admit to being all of 43 years young - and I still get 'carded' too!!
- you mean as in an AARP card?

Stephanie
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

You ladies look fabulous. I thought you gals weren't legal!

Post by Jeannie »

Taking a break from work and slow cooking ribs on a charcoal grill for a picnic tommorow. When the kids get up I'll be bold and have them snap a picture for my gallery of me in a pink cami and capris. Viewing is only dangerous for young children and the elderly. It is a bit scary but it's comfy! My wife Mini stopped in the shop this morning and gave me the once over and just shook her head. It's great! It drives her nuts. It's my turn! :lol: Hugs

Love
Jeannie
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Jeannie, honey, I can hardly wait for my divorce to finalize (which may take a while - gotta sell this house) anyway. You are too much -- I love it!
I am going to "dress with style" and visit my wife and her momma as soon as all this is final. As you know her attorney called me an "insane pervert" in the divorce decree. I know I can out dress her even on my worst day so when she comes face to face with Virginia I can hardly wait! Her mother told me not to call over there to their house any more as when I talk to her (my wife) she has seizures! How is that for GIRL POWER!!?? I can cause seizures just by the sound of my voice - I am one powerful lady! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am proud of you!!
Keep the faith, dear and keep posting -- I love it!!
Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Oh No! Another insane pervert! You too?

Post by Jeannie »

Virginia. I lived the most boring and unhappy life for the past twenty five years and I'm ready to be me and have some fun. As for my sex life all these years? My wife thought group sex was if she helped! I did talk dirty to her though Virginia. I would always say"Honey. Are you awake!" After seeing my picture gallery you know why she took the camera when she left. Jeannie was a little pig in the seventies in Boston and the pig is out of her pen! Life is good Sweety. You are a pisser Hon! Love Ya! :) Hugs

Love
Jeannie

PS I was slow cooking ribs on the charcoal grill since six this morning for a party tommorow with GG friends. Fabrizia,s boyfriend Steve snapped a photo of me at the grill in my pink cami and capris. I have to post it now but one warning. It's only dangerous to young children and the elderly. It's scary but It's so comfy. Freak em' if they can't take a joke! When you're out,you're out! Love your pictures Hon. I have to get one picture with my next door neighbor Bootsey. He is the biggest, most intimidating looking black man and is one of the kindest,most gentle and tolerant men I ever meet in my life. What a great guy. You can never judge a book by it's cover. People who are prejudice minimize their own lives by never allowing themselves to meet the most wonderful people. I'm a printer and if you look in a color chart we are all in the brown family. Beige,tan,brown,dark brown and chocolate brown. Take a piece of white paper,black paper,red paper and yellow paper and I dare you find someones skin that matches it. We all have our differant cultures,foods, music,dress,gender and religions and that is what makes us all wonderful. But we are all just one thing.Human beings. When will people realize that? How sad Virginia.How very sad. :(
Curly(SO)
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Curly(SO) »

Hi Virginia ..o)..
Her mother told me not to call over there to their house any more as when I talk to her (my wife) she has seizures! How is that for GIRL POWER!!?? I can cause seizures just by the sound of my voice - I am one powerful lady!
I love it, Virginia...that is the best laugh I had all day :bigsmile: How do ya get to have powers like that...I want some!!! :mrgreen:

Love,
Curly :thumbsup: