Hosiery

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Hosiery

Post by Carol Ann »

Ladies,
I need your input, I hand wash my stocking in Woolite then hang dry them. Now what product should I add when I rinse them so they go back to that tight eliste(?) like when they come out of the package new. There is nothing better looking then brand new hosiery. (--) Carol Ann
Georgia(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Georgia(SO) »

OK. You've stumped Heloise... I don't know of anything that will give stockings that brand new elasticity. I put mine in a laundry bag (a little mesh bag made specially for your ditties) and throw them in the washer with other delicates. Hang dry them. Maybe some of the other gg's are more fastidious with theirs...

-g(so)
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Carol Ann -

I usually put my pantyhose in the mesh bag and wash them with the rest of my delicates, using cold water only for both the wash and rinse cycles. However, I almost never air-dry them, but keep them in the mesh bag and place in the dryer on "low heat" or "fluff dry". I have never had a problem with reduced elasticity, and some of my pantyhose I've been using for a year or more without problems.

I've never used Woolite, but I have used a product called "Hosiery Mate" sold by Sears with their logo on the bottle, which was made by The Hosiery Mate Co. in Chicago, IL. 'Hosiery Mate' promises rinse-free stocking wash that more than doubles hosiery life. I don't know if this product is still available, although I will check when I'm at Sears this week.

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jadeanne
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jadeanne »

Hi all,

I did a Google search and came up with the website

http://www.hosierymate.com/

It looks like they are alive and well and make besides hosiery mate, lingerie mate, and activewear mate.

They list retailers throughout the US or sell it direct.

Jadeanne
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jeannie »

I always use Woolite and hand wash and dry on the line. Next time I'm in sears I'll look for Hosiery mate. Thanks for the tip Silver Lady. I'll return the favor and give you one. Blue Boots in the third at Belmont. Hugs

Love
Jeannie

PS.Always make sure your toe and finger nails are smooth and I put on hand cream before I put them on so you don't get any pulls. Before I put them in the drawer I always spritz my favorite perfume on them. Red or Shishido.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Jadeanne -

Thank you for Google-ing Hosiery Mate, and I'm glad they're still around. I'll have to check into their other products, and hopefully Sears will carry them, also.

The only reason why I stopped using the product was that it was less time-consuming to wash the hosiery in the washer (in a mesh bag) with everything else, as I was still working at the time. This bottle - which I bought MANY years ago - was $1.75 for 8 fl.oz. - and I've never had any complaints with the product, as it did all it promised.

Hosiery Mate - per its label - does the following:
- rinse-free stocking wash;
- more than doubles hosiery life;
- cleans, conditions, and deodorizes in 15 seconds without rinsing;
- strengthens nylon fibers to help hosiery resist runs and snags;
- reduces clinging and sagging;
- leaves hosiery soft and smooth, with a fresh clean scent; and
- economical to use - one bottle can wash 60 pairs.

Maybe I should get a commission for promoting their product? :-k Now that I have more time (yeah, right!) I'll have to start using this product again.

Jeannie - Thanks for the hand-care tip for putting on hose. Another one is to not wear any rings with sharp edges while putting on hose (or pulling up hose after a nature call!) - - I've snagged more pantyhose because of my rings than due to anything else!! :(

(--)

- SL

PS: Jeannie - I'd rather have My Champion in the Hayloft!! :mrgreen:
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

You know you ladies are alsum and i love each and everyone of you, but I think I will still hand wash my stockings and air dry them as I'm and old fashion lady :P . Old being the proper word (--) Carol Ann
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

I'm with you Carol Ann

Post by Jeannie »

I'm a purist also Carol Ann. Maybe it is us more mature ladies. You know what they say. You can't teach an old show dog new tricks! :lol:

Love
Jeannie

PS. I'll make you jealous Carol Ann! I did five color washes today. Even a yellow and a gold. What fun! Maybe I'll do my nails with a match color on the thumbs and the process colors on the fingers tonight. I'll do the pinkies in process black. I'll use the densitometer so the colors match! What do you think? Do they make color bars for fingers? You know whats funny Carol Ann. When we printers mention strippers and PMS people get the wrong idea. :lol:
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Jeannie,
I couldn't begin to tell you about all my PMS'es. Nope never liked a densitometer I used my eyes and would cut color strips for a match.
Sorry bab I come from the old school I made my living with my eye's and being very gental with my fingers. I know you know what I'm talking about when it comes to using you fingers :lol: Carol ann
Georgia(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Georgia(SO) »

Jeannie and Carol Ann

I forgot ya;ll were printers. I am having an issue with a new color laser printer and not near enough experience with graphics programs. Can I PM you for sage advice???? Yes, actually I *am* serious!

-georgia(so)
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Georgia,
Sweetheart I am but retired and so far away from what's up and new. I think Jeaniie is more up to date on what's happening then me as she runs her own shop and would be more up to date. Now if you need someone to run a press for you I haven't seen the press I couldn't run yet. (--) Carol Ann
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

You could PM me Georgia but I'm old school.

Post by Jeannie »

Most of my work is still letterpress. I do die cutting,numbering,perforating,scoring,slitting and things you can't do with computer systems. I'm a dinosaur but I have a nitch. Printing, anyone can do today Georgia but impact printing is a whole differant ball game.We are a dying breed. People today like to click a mouse or push a button to get a job done. It takes much more to do what I do and I have the machines and skill to do it. At this point I can do it in my sleep and sometimes I do! :lol: Hugs

Love Jeannie

PS. Carol Ann. I do have some offset tomorrow. Red&blue,yellow&black and green. If you want to come over and wash the presses you're more than welcome!
Jacqueline Manesis
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Jacqueline Manesis »

SilverLady(SO) wrote:Hi, Carol Ann -

I have never had a problem with reduced elasticity, and some of my pantyhose I've been using for a year or more without problems.

I
- SL
I want the bullet proof hose that last a year, I have managed to not run some for a whole day once or twice! :mrgreen:
Nothing beats a great pair of Legg's. Cake and tea or death!
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Wear em' if you got em'!

Post by Jeannie »

Ladies
There is a great place online called Silkies. They make the nicest styles and colors and are very durable. All sorts of styles like capri hose with lace on the cuffs and great trouser socks. They also have wonderful padded panties if you're bootey challenged like Moi! Life is never easy!Hugs

Love
Jeannie
Jacqueline Manesis
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Jacqueline Manesis »

OK. My ex wife used to get hose mail ordered from silkies. It was some sort of club I think. I am assuming this is the same brand. I thought they went out of business. Thanks.

~Jacqueline
Nothing beats a great pair of Legg's. Cake and tea or death!