When, and when not, to wear hose?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

TracyQ
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by TracyQ »

More and more real girls seem to be wearing dresses and skirts these days (yay!) so that gives me more freedom also, but it seems most that I see are going "bare legged". While I can certainly see the advantages of that, I just don't have the time to get a proper tan and my legs look so white! Plus, while I don't have terrible "vein" problems, I do have some (57 years old, after all!) so my legs look much better in hose.

What are the "rules" for when and where of going either bare or hosed? (Realizing that rules are meant to be broken, of course! :) )

I'm talking more casual here, rather than dressed up.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Tracy -
What are the "rules" for when and where of going either bare or hosed? (Realizing that rules are meant to be broken, of course! :) )
I don't think there's any 'hard and fast' rules for going bare or hosed, at least not in current society - I think it's more a matter of personal preference or comfort.

Personally, I prefer to wear hose when wearing a skirt or dress because I am usually wearing heels of some sort (wedges, stilettos, pumps), and I dislike wearing heels without hose, even though I am almost always 'tanned'; personal preference. Now, if I was wearing those outfits with flat sandals then I would be going 'bare'.

I wear heels even for casual activities, such as shopping (of any kind) or potluck dinners in our club house. If the occasion was a poolside 'splash' party then I would probably lean more towards flat sandals.

So for me, the decision to go bare or hosed is based solely upon the shoes I will be wearing: heels = hose, flat sandals = bare.

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Georgia(SO)
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Georgia(SO) »

I'm with SilverLady - heels without stockings are really uncomfortable for me and I don't particularly like the look, whether on me or on others. Sandals are a bit more a matter of personal taste. Flat sandals, particularly kicky little ones, are bare-legged shoes. Dress heeled sandals - generally bare legged during the day and in warm weather. During the evening or the more formal sandals (think dressy sandals to go with a formal dress) need stockings. If you *are* wearing sandals with stockings, though, be sure you get sandal foot stockings - there's no reason to have a reinforced toe on these!

More than any of this though - wear whatever you like and whatever makes you feel like you look good.

-georgia(so)
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Hose or no hose. That is the question.

Post by Jeannie »

If I'm wearing a skirt,dress and heels usually at work I wear hose but in the spring and summer when at home or wearing shorts,capris or sun dresses with sandals I never were hose. It's too warm and I like to let "the boys "have a little air. They just love going commando! They just hate being cooped up! Sorry GG's. You'll just have to use your imaginations! :) Hugs

Love
Jeannie
Aileen
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Aileen »

I know it is not for me to answer, and this is not an answer, but I just wanted to share what two women on CSI were saying about pantyhose:

"What do you think when you see a woman in Miami wearing pantyhose?"
"She's either from out of town, or she's a hooker."
Loy B(SO)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Loy B(SO) »

I think its mainly a matter of personal preferance and also just seeing if something looks ok with or without them. Most casual skirts can be worn without hose.If it is a more dressy skirt or dress then hose usually look better. I try to avois pantyhose as much as possible because I find them hot and uncomfortable. I think there are occassions as well that pantyhose are appropriate. If you were dressing up for say church or a wedding,then it is more proper to wear them.
Carpe Noctum!
Jacqueline Manesis
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Jacqueline Manesis »

The rule I follow is this

Closed toe shoe: Hose every time

Open toe shoe or sandals: No hose, nothing more unaatractive than a dark reinforcement peeking out ......you may get away with a no reinforcement nude hose when wearing sandals but if they are of the nude variety I don't see the point.
Nothing beats a great pair of Legg's. Cake and tea or death!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I never go without my pantyhose!!! If I'm wearing a skirt, dress, jeans, or even a cute pair of shorts, I gotta have my pantyhose! I've always disliked the bare legged look.
Jane (SO)

Post by Jane (SO) »

I believe bare legs look terrible, and I never go that route. If you have very long legs (as I do) a light weight support panty will help keep pantyhose in place. In warmer months a garter belt and hose can be more comfortable and you still look wonderful.
Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Elizabeth »

Hey girls,

I get several fashion magazines and I have noticed that hose, particularly tights, are making a comeback in fashion. Mostly dark colored tights in greens and blues and sometimes black. I have also noticed many of them wearing nude stockings with no toe re-enforcement.

Since I come from the late seventies and eighties and love hose and stockings, this is great news. I live in the Mojave desert and it's never too hot to wear hose, as it usually only gets to 115 F for a few months a year......laff.

Love always,
Elizabeth
GalicianGirl(SO)
Founding Member

Post by GalicianGirl(SO) »

I hate stockings of any kind... But when I have to wear a skirt or dress that is shorter then mid calf, I will break down and wear them...

Living in Houston with the heat and 90% humidity from April to October, whatever parts of your body those stockings are touching will leave you clammy and uncomfortable...Yuck!!!!! Almost as bad as wet jeans... :lol:
Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Elizabeth »

GalicianGirl(SO) wrote:I hate stockings of any kind...
Living in Houston with the heat and 90% humidity from April to October, whatever parts of your body those stockings are touching will leave you clammy and uncomfortable...Yuck!!!!! Almost as bad as wet jeans... :lol:
When I lived in Houston and worked construction, I would come home with my pants soaking wet down to the knees and my shirt completely soaked, every day, in the summer. I am not talking damp, I am talking wring them out wet.

I don't think I would be wearing hose very often if I lived there again.

Love always,
Elizabeth
Carol Elizabeth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Carol Elizabeth »

Wearing hose can be nice if the temperatures are a bit chilly. It can also be nice if one is on "her" feet all the time and they hose offers support.

One sad thing about hose (other than fit problems) is that it reduces the sensation of a silky slip on one's bare legs.

Bare legs also has the advantage of feeling a bit naked and vunerable.

So it's kind of what you are after.

As for me, I wear hose from October through April and occasionally during the Summer if the mood strikes me.

CE
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
JaneB (SO)
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by JaneB (SO) »

The current fashion is to not wear hose.

As someone said, tights are making a comeback.

Personally, I would wear hose when it is very cold, but otherwise not.
Kendra Lynn
Miss Emerald Goddess

Hose/tights

Post by Kendra Lynn »

Hello: Well, here's my contribution...
I assume "hose" refers to really sheer items, and "tights" are the thicker version of a similar thing.
I will not wear the sheer stuff-- I just can't shave well enough and something will show through. Also "sheer" hose is too thin and tears easily. Waste of money.
I generally wear tights or if the shaving job is really good (no obvious nicks) I can get away with socks.
I had been buying "beige"ish colored tights at WHOLE FOODS, but the manufacturer stopped making them-- I need a new source. That manufacturer only makes knee highs and socks in lighter colors now. (their dark tights are great, but those won't really work with... cheerleader outfits!).
Not much else to say on this topic.
Peace-- Kendra Lynn.