Visible Bra Straps

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Visible Bra Straps

Post by Bernice »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep straps in their place? It seems mine slide right off the shoulders and latch onto my upper arms. Ditto with camisole straps. I've tried altering the bras with attachments closer to the middle, or with longer straps, or tighter straps, all to no avail. I've had to resort to stitching a strand of matching ribbon across the back to keep them in place. This limits my wardrobe choices with garments that might have plunging necklines fore and aft.

Hugs,

Bernice
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Bernice you can try bra strap pads. I have never tried them but have seen them several places. I would think they may work. Try checking local stores to save on shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Silicone- ... Sw8axaTFZq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

somebody knows how to keep all the straps in place???? rotf
That's hilarious!!

Seriously though, I think it's always been a problem and always will be a problem. Anyway, I don't think there is a good solution, but plenty of mediocre solutions. I've given up on the idea and just got in the habit of the periodic readjustment.
I've contemplated the idea of small snaps on my bra straps that connect to the straps on my dresses, to at least keep them connected. But honestly, if I take all the dresses that I have and add to that all the bras that I have....... it's a whole bunch load of snaps!!! But if I ever invent a solution, I will tell everyone here first :lol:
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

There are a wide variety of bras out there and perhaps you need to find a different style such as a racerback. Also be sure you are wearing the right size bra and perhaps consider a bra with wider straps. The one thing to remember is the band of a bra should support most of the breast not the straps. There is a big difference between silicone forms and breasts as even the heaviest of breasts is attached a form is not.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

If bra straps fall off, you either have the wrong size bra, adjusted wrong, or both. The smallest breasted of women can keep their straps on.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Yep...just what I was going to say...size and adjustment.
Go with the flow
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

One other thing to think about if your bra straps keep slipping. The stretch may be stretched out and the bra is just worn out and time for a new one. We all have that one "go to" bra in our drawers. That one is just so comfy and we tend to wear it more and yes bras wear out!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Diana Michelle wrote:One other thing to think about if your bra straps keep slipping. The stretch may be stretched out and the bra is just worn out and time for a new one. We all have that one "go to" bra in our drawers. That one is just so comfy and we tend to wear it more and yes bras wear out!
I'd like to add that many CD's 'borrow' their wives bras. That he was wearing my clothing to dress up was quite disturbing. So ladies, buy your own bras in your size and style. You'll feel so much better. Just like undies, elastic does wear out.

We've evolved off topic, as can happen. I still don't like bra straps showing intentionally as a fashion statement.

Eileen
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Going back to the original question of this thread I do find intentionally visible bra straps not the best of images. Full disclosure here I have been guilty of it on occasion be it out on the boat or running to the local convenience store for gas for the boat or snacks and liquid libation.

With the wide variety of bras and strap options such as multi way bras, racerback styles, stick on styles, and of course the old stand by strapless bras both conventional and bandeau styles women have a choice as to how to be properly attired and modest. Still it got me to thinking about things. Yes dangerous! :lol:

I am far from what one would describe as endowed but even I find strapless bras are not always the most comfortable and many have a tendency to migrate south after a period of wearing them. I can only imagine how it is for the more endowed women of the world. I have even been told "Just go without a bra" and while there is some sag in the girls it is not that much still I feel I look better with a bra than without one and it is drummed into us a lady always wears a bra.

All that said I do want all of you to stop and think here for a minute. Think about some the more endowed women of the world and how they would look should they just say "The hell with the bra so I don't show my bra straps!" While there may be a few of you that would welcome that the picture I have in my mind is not a pretty one to be polite. Just something to think about before you pronounce judgment.

Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I agree with Diana's latest post. That there are exceptions to bra straps peeking out. I didn't consider racer back or sports bra styles. There are so more options for the active lady than when I grew up. That a bra strap might slip out is not the horrendous faux pas than it used to be.

Dressing as a passable woman, showing off bra straps might invite unwanted advances. Just keep that in mind.

Diana, I am one of those more endowed woman, strapless dresses are a nightmare. Maybe gravity, but my bra straps don't fall off. My dear friend who runs marathons is barely a C cup. Other than her workout bras, straps don't show. A proper fitting bra, straps should not fall off.

Eileen
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

Maybe because I live in Southern California and I see so many bra straps with little tops I don't really give it a second thought. When I say so many I am talking women of all ages and sizes. I even admit to doing it a few times myself. That said if one is just running around doing errands or around the house it is one thing but on a date or something similar it is totally different.
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt