Visible Bra Straps

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Jaye
Miss Golden Goddess

Visible Bra Straps

Post by Jaye »

When I was growing up, I was told that it was tacky for a woman to wear anything that let her bra straps show. Since I've been out shopping, I have since been informed that this is no longer a cardinal sin, so long as the bra straps don't clash wildly. I bought a couple of new bras last month that have transparent straps, but for a number of reasons, I don't want to wear either with this particular top. It's not this exact top shown, but one very similar:

http://www.torrid.com/store/product.asp ... TEM=519633

My question is this:

Would it be okay for me to wear a black bra with this top?
The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Sure, you could wear a black bra with that cami - or a brown one, if you've got it, as that would pick up some of the brown accents in the trim.

I was told the same thing growing up - showing your bra straps is tacky - and while I still don't care for it personally and do my best to stop it from happening, it doesn't bother me too much to see it on others, provided it doesn't clash. Maybe that's why I have a bra to match just about every color blouse or shirt I own???? :P

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jaye
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Jaye »

SilverLady(SO) wrote:Maybe that's why I have a bra to match just about every color blouse or shirt I own???? :P

- SL
Thanks for the reply, SL!

Even before I bought that particular top, I have been hunting around for an olive bra, but I have yet to find one anywhere. All the places I've been have white, black and nude, and certain retailers have red, blue and pink, maybe some other colors. I have yet to find an olive bra, but I'll get one yet. Maybe I'll buy a white one and dye it!
The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

From what I can see at the gym visible bra straps have become a fashion statement. They don't have to be the same color either, certain contrasts work quite well. I think it is a nice look.

As an aside I also notice that quite a few women at the gym seem to be wearing two bras or a cami with shelf and a bra. I guess this helps with the bouncing.

Absaroka
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Jaye -

You are very welcome!

You may have to dye a white bra into an olive color, as you mentioned; I don't remember ever seeing an olive colored bra, but if I do I'll let you know.

If your cami top has a brown, taupe, or beige trim similar to the picture you provided, then I would get a bra in those colors to pick up the accent colors, and those colors are more readily found than olive. This would provide a nice color contrast and not clash. I regularly see bras in those colors at WalMart, Target, Sears, JC Penney, and the like.

Absaroka -

True, visible bra straps are a fashion statement, either in the same color or contrasting, it's just that I don't personally go for that look in what I choose to wear. Different strokes for different folks, that's what makes the world go 'round!

Women wearing two bras, etc. while at the gym - definitely to reduce the bouncing effect, which can actually hurt after a while!

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Connie
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Connie »

Jaye -

An olive bra? Have you tried an Army surplus store?? :) Or is that too "drab"?

-Connie
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Jaye,
I think it was "Flashdance" that started both the "ankle warmer" and "bra strap" fashion statements. The ankle warmers seem to have died out, but I know I see a lot of "exposed" bra straps this time of year on a lot of teenage girls.
Honey, just do your thing.
I heard a fashion designer the other day on TV say that he feels that one of the sexiest things a woman can do is wear a nice, sexy white blouse with a black bra gently showing underneath! WOW!
Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: Visible Bra Straps

Post by KimberlyS »

Hi Jaye, I see many, many people wear the cami's with the string straps and matching bra straps showing. And while I was on vacation I even seen a gal with 3 sets of straps; sheer cami, opaque cami, and bra.

Not a style I can wear as I need long sleeves here.

KimberlyS-CD
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Loy B(SO)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Loy B(SO) »

jaye,
times have changed when i was younger you didnt let your bra straps show it was a sign of a "hoochie momma" now it is ok for them to show as long as it is tastefully done.I think that top would look great with a blk bra. Its a very cute top.
Loy
Carpe Noctum!
AnnMarie Sweet
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by AnnMarie Sweet »

I think it's another of those things dictated by 'fashion trend'. I've seen mainstream 'Hollywood' movies from the 1940's where bra and/or slip straps can clearly be seen underneath white blouses, yet in later decades, as has already been observed, it was considered crass for a lady to allow any part of her underwear to be seen 'through' outer clothing. Personally, I love seeing the shoulder and back straps of a brassiere beneath a translucent blouse - but that's definitely a sexually-motivated 'love'. In another coupla years, this could be taboo once again (seeing bra straps under clothing that is, not me getting overheated at the sight of such).
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

This being an old thread, I can't see Jaye's link. However, that won't stop me from offering an opinion anyway. I grew up in an age that undies were not to be seen, women or men. Men knew better and pulled their pants up. Women didn't let bras or panties peek out.
Today's fashions allow bras to be seen, whether they match or clash, there seems to be no rules at all.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

Personally I am not a fan of the trend of using bra straps as a fashion statement but from what I see it so here to stay for a while. Being raised and mentored in femininity by my grandmother I was taught that a lady's underwear was not for public view, see my post on strapless bras. I do wonder if I was a teenage girl or even in my early 20's and a GG if I would feel the same way?
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

I think us more "mature" girls grew up in a different time when a lady kept her unmentionables to herself and those she elected to show them to. Today's women seem to feel that everyone should know what color bra they have on. Personally I don't like the style but at least they are wearing a bra! #-o For those of you mature enough to have lived through the early 70's remember the braless movement. Heaven knows sadly back then the most likely to embrace going sans bra were probably the one who most needed one! :lol:
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I am definitely not a fan on the visible bra strap rage! [-X I prefer to choose who sees my underpinnings. =P~

While we are on the subject what is with women wearing dark bras under a light colored top? To me it sends a message of " hey look at me!" Before you all start in on me I am far from a prude. I have worn sheerer blouses without a camisole but I either wear a beige bra to avoid showing or if I am looking for a sexier appearance I will match the bra to the top. You know what I mean here, a pink bra under a pink blouse, etc.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Brenda Allen
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Brenda Allen »

This topic as noted in the different comments suggests that the "visible bra straps" fashion is just on of a number of passing fashion statements over the years, meaning it will ebb with time as a new statement appears (or reappears). The 70's "braless" era was short but was also accompanied by the see-through blouse or partially see through with a pleating or lace covering the front of the blouse. And that passed onto clunky sweaters/tops and not much to see underneath. The point is that these styles were predominantly associated with the "younger generation"...the "20/30 somethings" (as noted). So it is with much of the "visible bra straps" craze. Some of us older girls wish to do as Diane Michelle noted: match our undergarments with our blouses/dresses/tops and be less showy. I feel better/more comfortable with my bra straps hidden, although I don't mind a little bit of my bra being seen through my blouse.