Are you really sure you want to be wearing a skirt?

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Aileen
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Are you really sure you want to be wearing a skirt?

Post by Aileen »

My question for the GGs, have you ever said to a woman, or heard it, "Are you really sure you want to be wearing a skirt?" Either because it's cold out, or you're going to be doing some work which would make it impractical, or some other reason.
Curly(SO)
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Curly(SO) »

Er...No.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Yes - from my soon-to-be ex-husband!! -,,-

In his opinion, the only reason to be wearing a skirt (or dress) is for 'dress-up' occasions, and wearing one at any other time is suspect. Wearing a skirt/dress 'just because' is not an acceptable answer to him.

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Isabelle(SO)
Miss Crystal Goddess

THe short Answer is, "No."

Post by Isabelle(SO) »

My Dad had a great view of life and it generally involved being happy wherever you are and making the best of things. He said, "If you feel you are underdressed, stand up straighter!" The same rule has helped me sail through situations where I was under or overdressed, or the only one in the room in a skirt. Living in New York City for a while also helped my attitude in such situations. You look the critic right in the eye and think (you don't even have to verbalize it), "Are you talking to ME??"
Hugs.
Jess(SO)
E-mail address not valid - Contact Admin

Post by Jess(SO) »

yes would be the short answer. But probably put more like "don't you think trousers would be better if we are going to do that?" or "are you going to change your shoes/dress before we go?"

can I ask why?

Jess
* * Email address not current as of 08-29-2009. Please contact SilverLady(SO) immediately! See http://crossdressers-forum.com/forums/v ... php?t=9237 for further information. Thank You!! * *
Susan
Permanently Banned

Post by Susan »

The only reason trousers were invented was to facilitate the riding of a horse. Back in antiquity everyone wore "skirts".

Susan
Susan

I know some things.
Paulie
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Paulie »

I wouldn't want to pass my judgement on someone else.... as much as I wouldn't want them to do that to me.

Sure... I've seen occasions where a GG was wearing a skirt in weather that isn't very "skirt friendly". But, I don't know anything about why they were wearing it. Maybe there was a function or meeting that made it the best or only choice.

But, I think we should all be able to wear what we want, when we want. And, I'll always admire or envy a GG in a skirt.
Jacqueline Manesis
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Jacqueline Manesis »

Well they make short light fabric skirts for the summer and heavy wool blend long skirts for the winter and tights......so I don't see weather having any impact on the decision to wear or not wear a skirt. Now the comment " Are you sure you want to wear THAT skirt?" on a cold day might be appropriate. Just asking " Are you sure you want to wear a skirt" sounds like an insult like my legs are that horrible to look at or something.
[-(
Nothing beats a great pair of Legg's. Cake and tea or death!
Ann Stef
Miss Platinum Goddess

Skirts & dresses

Post by Ann Stef »

For me, there is no doubt that a skirt or dress is more comfortable to wear while driving on a long trip. Pants bind up when sitting for a long time in a car. Skirts leave you with a comfortable feeling down there while driving.
Happiness is dressing to your innermost desire and feeling.
Silvara
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Silvara »

I have a friend that wears shorts in all seasons, so I've learned to ignore that kind of attitude when seeing people in apparel that doesn't lend to the weather. (btw, Toronto gets quite cold in January, and I've seen said person in shorts then, at 1 in the morning!)
-SilverArrow-
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

When I went FT I vowed to myself, no slacks for this girl I am going to be all lady and only wear skirts! Well that was 3 1/2 years ago and I have learned a lot. There are skirt appropriate venues and situations and there are those that are not. Living in the Detroit area believe me I quickly found why women wear slacks in the winter. Yes long wool skirts and boots are OK at times but slacks are still a lot more comfortable and work in almost every situation.
PhylissH
Miss Platinum Goddess

Skirts

Post by PhylissH »

At 6' 3" I have found it near impossible to find pants/slacks to fit. There for all I have are skirts and dress. I also find it impossble to find cassual shoes in a womens size 15. So whats a girl to do?
I have a couple of skirts and tops that could be cassual but no shoes to match.
" I would rather die while I am living than live when I am dead"

Texas CD, Best of both worlds,
Hugs Phyliss
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

I'd ask my daughters stuff like that when they were younger. "Usually in the vein of it's 10 degrees out, are you sure you want to wear that short skirt? I know we are driving but what if the car breaks down?" much more often the question was aimed at footwear however.

My eldest became far more practical when she went to college and suddenly had to walk everywhere.

Absaroka
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Angela
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Angela »

I don't want to wear pants whatever the weather's like, I want to wear skirts and that's why thick tights and knee boots were invented!
Love

Angela
Erica S
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Erica S »

PhylissH, I saw your commet about shoes. I have come across a website you may wish to check out for some shoes that may fit you. Most go up to mens size 16. I hope this helps you.

http://www.cross-dress.com/

I have not purchased any shoes online yet so I do not know the fit well enough to recomened the site from personal expericane, best of luck

Erica
If the woman inside of you needs to be free, let it happen, and you can soar.