changes in bra design

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Brenda
Miss Silver Goddess

changes in bra design

Post by Brenda »

I hadn't been in a Lane Bryant for quite some time, but with the e-mail coupon they offered I could hardly refuse the invitation. I ended up with a couple of nice blouses off the clearance rack and what the clerk called a "cover shirt" (very wide V neck, which I think is meant to go over something like a stretch camisole with a little lace at the top. (Otherwise the top of my bra shows if I bend over.)

What I really went in for was to see the current Cacique bra collection. Used to be that they had a nice selection of wired and soft cup styles, a couple of which fit me quite well (44B).

I was disappointed to find that the majority of their stock is now constructed with molded cups, quite aside from starting with a C cup, which has always been a problem but understandable in a plus size chain.

Are molded cups going to take over the industry? I see quite a few of them in department store lingerie departments and they must be comfortable or they wouldn't sell. I actually own a couple myself, but I have to wear them very carefully because, unlike a fabric construction that allows a certain amount of shifting, if you're not big enough to fill them the top tends to sag after a while. I'm a scant B and need to make the most of what I've got.

Do any GGs have an opinion of molded foam cups?

I've had the best luck with underwires with diagonal seamed cups and am wearing a pretty toile bra from Avenue tonight that fits perfectly, if you can believe it. I've bought 2 so far and am looking for a third, but they only stock one B per store. Lingerie shopping is fun, but can be frustrating.
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

My wife and daughters all love the molded cups and my wife has said it's the most comfortable bra she's ever worn. She heard about them from a girlfriend who told her the same thing and told her to go buy one immediately.

Absaroka
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Believe it or not that's all my Grand daughter wears and she is a 34C
Ann Stef
Miss Platinum Goddess

Bras

Post by Ann Stef »

Most underwire ones are soft cup, not molded. You can wear a size up. I wear my wife;s size D and it fits as a size C. The underwire will push the flesh under, into the bra.
Happiness is dressing to your innermost desire and feeling.
Wesley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: changes in bra design

Post by Wesley »

Personally, I detest molded cups. If you have forms, they never fit quite right. Not to mention, as you walk and move, the forms do not move in a natural way and it feels quite foreign.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I too dislike molded cups, they don't look natural. Might be OK for the smaller girls. Fortunately, they usually are not available in my size.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I do not like the molded cup bras either for looks or fit with forms. On GG's they always show even when they fit right it seems. i personally ike the underwire soft cup styles for fit, looks, and how they work with forms. And Lane Bryant is just down to a couple of them. :(

kimberlys cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

let my jump on the heap.. molded cups do nothing for me and my girls don't get the loving support and contrastraint they need. Give me a comfy fitting underwire and I happy. Ok, now pay atttention... underwire is not rewuired to keep your girls safe and secure, It really requires a properly fitting bra no matter the type/stille BUT molded cups tend to never be a proper fit.

Kim, LB is so over priced any more. I was buying and liking Avenue bras long before trying LB.

Girls, there are lots of bras out there but not hat many manufacturers. If you ever find out who made the bra versus who's name is on it, then you are doing better when you're shopping.
{squeezes}
Davita
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martina Hall »

For wearing with silicone breast forms, some words do not work for me, and I move on to the next item description. Some of them: Minimizer, push-up, molded cup, demi cup, padded. What does make me read further: Seamless, full coverage, underwire, unlined. Bravo!
Understandably, the list would be completely different with natural breasts.
I AM my own hot girlfriend.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

first.... EEK! who's fingers were those typing my prior post??!!!

Martina, you are so right.
{squeezes}
Davita
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Brenda wrote:
Do any GGs have an opinion of molded foam cups?

I've had the best luck with underwires with diagonal seamed cups and am wearing a pretty toile bra from Avenue tonight that fits perfectly, if you can believe it. I've bought 2 so far and am looking for a third, but they only stock one B per store. Lingerie shopping is fun, but can be frustrating.
For these reasons, I prefer to shop by catalog, especially during a sale. Some of mine are underwire, most not. None with heavy embroidery, some with lacey top half of the cup. All have padded shoulder straps! I don't need a push up or extra padding, do need full coverage though. My bra size makes it's own statement without a lot of unnecessary cleavage.

The husbands bra choices are nearly the same, he prefers seamless cups for a nice, smooth look.
Martina Hall wrote: Understandably, the list would be completely different with natural breasts.
Not always completely different, Martina. Larger, natural breasts need real support where comfort is more important than style.

Eileen
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

I have 3 molded cup bras and find them comfortable and somewhat supportive. One has to look at the whole bra to determine if it is proper for an outfit and occasion. To say the molded cups are my favorite is maybe true, I wear them a lot under certain tops and outfits. However Eileen is correct in that a multi part cup bra is perhaps the most supportive, especially for us more blessed girls.

If I had to pick a favorite bra for comfort and support it would probably be this one:

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-855216-en ... -bra.shtml

I will grant you it is not inexpensive but my girls and me are worth it! :lol:
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Very pretty, Deidre. But too much embroidery in front for my tastes. One seam per side is all the distraction I need, have enough chest stares as it is. The average CD buys bras for the thrill of having and wearing them, so I'm told. Not because they have to have them. And the price! Lordy! My husband, it turned out, when still hidden, was ordering through my Just My Size catalog, shipped to a friends house. Now we order together. I'm comfortable in Playtex and Glamorise bras and buy them on sale for under $20
One CD friend enjoys the retro bullet bras. I'm so glad that era is over

Eileen
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Cute Wacoal bra Deidre. Not being as "blessed" as some of you obviously are I don't need that much support although I do generally wear an underwire. My personal favorite is fast becoming the Warner's "This Is Not A Bra."

http://www.herroom.com/warners-1593-thi ... rage.shtml

It is a molded cup and works under just about anything. Sure I have special occasion bras although I haven't worn any of the in a while except for strapless ones under sundresses, but that Warner's is my everyday go to bra for comfort and support.
Eileen (SO) wrote: The average CD buys bras for the thrill of having and wearing them, so I'm told. Not because they have to have them. Eileen
True Eileen and they always tend to gravitate towards the lacy cute bras. Maybe if they had the lace make their "girls" itch during a business meeting :oops: they would look at bras differently.
Eileen (SO) wrote: One CD friend enjoys the retro bullet bras. I'm so glad that era is over Eileen
I actually have a couple of the bullet bras and I agree with you, not very comfortable at all! :( my first husband bought them for me as they reminded him of a girl of his youth. I wore them to make him happy and he always made the discomfort up to me! :) They have probably been in the bottom drawer of my lingerie chest for easily 20 years now though.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon