Skirt and Blouse or Top Question

Do you have questions about fashion etiquette, or etiquette in general? Ask your questions here!

Moderators: CathyAnn, Eileen (SO)

Judy W
Miss Crystal Goddess

Skirt and Blouse or Top Question

Post by Judy W »

I was just wondering what is the best choice for a skirt (blue or gray) button down or blouse? And what is the difference between a blouse and a button down shirt?
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

The biggest differences between a blouse and a shirt are:

(1) the side the buttons are on . . . wearer's left (heart) side is a blouse, right side is a shirt;

(2) the material . . . cottons tend to be on shirts, while satins (or other silky fabric) are blouses;

(3) some blouses have darts in the front to emphasize the bust line;

(4) blouses generally do not have a breast pocket(s);

(5) the bottom hem . . . straighter hems are blouses, curved 'shirt-tails' are, well, shirts - usually - and I say that because I have some shirts with straight hems, and blouses with 'tails'. ***huh***

Oh, and add a 6th one . . . the higher the price, it's more likely to be called a blouse as opposed to a shirt. And we haven't even talked about the differences in buttons, hidden front buttons, nor collar and cuff styles! :shock: :roll:

As to which is the better choice for a skirt, without knowing the fabric and style of the skirt, and the blouse or shirt, it's hard to give a definitive answer, if there is one.

If you have a couple of shirts or blouses in mind for the skirt in question, try them on one at a time while wearing the skirt and see which one looks better on you. What looks good on one person may not look as good on another, and that has a lot to do with not only the colors and material of the clothes in question, but also the wearer's body shape, weight, skin tone, etc.

Now you know why it takes women so long to go shopping for clothes! :mrgreen:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------