Shopping and learning.

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Shopping and learning.

Post by Virginia »

I love to shop, I love to shop at Goodwill. Not because I am cheap. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the bargains I have accrued would fill many pages.

Today, as I was rifling through the "dress rack," I had several thoughts. One, it is interesting how my tastes have changed over the years. I now pass on the "CFM" outfits and look for the more conservative dresses - well that is a bit of a white lie, I still pull a sexy number from the rack once in a while. What can I say!? Like the old adage, "It ain't braggin if you can do it!" I also note that I am a bit more critical of what I find hanging. I mean I see dresses, expensive dresses that someone paid a lot and I mean A LOT of money for and I ask myself, "what would possess someone to wear that where other people can see them in it?" I mean some of those dresses you could not accessorize enough to even make them have any creditability, then again another old adage comes to mind " there is no accounting for taste!"

Another thing I noticed and have refined is my ability to see and pick out "the good stuff." This is where Goodwill shopping varies greatly from general retail stores, Belk, Penney's, Nordstrom's, Macy's etc. You have to wade through the worn and "should not have worn" by the 100's to get to that one "find!" Example, the skirts are all crammed together and they get crushed and wrinkled but then that one skirt, although "pressed" between 100's of others, hangs there, lined and wrinkle-free as it is well-made, expensive material, with the label of an expensive manufacturer still attached and in some instances a dry cleaners tag still attached! (and damn its and 8 and I need a 10) but that's another story. On the dress rack, kind of the same story, but in my past couple of ventures I have found nice dresses, "hidden," "crammed" in behind some of the others.

Some points that stand out are that shops like Goodwill teach us to develop "an eye" for the "good stuff," and learn the names of different manufactures and who makes what and once you find several and throw them in your buggy, no one is going to scrutinize what you have picked out, so you trod off the to dressing room and try them on and discover an 8 in one manufacture is like a 12 in another.

Two other quick points, know, have or be a good seamstress! Finding true gems is great but having them altered to your specific measurements (well its almost as good as sex!) Also have a good dry cleaner, they can do wonders for the appearance of something that may look a bit "worn."

And yes I was once asked and only once that I can remember, a lady a customer if you will, asked me what I was looking for in the ladies dresses. I just looked at her, SMILED ( smiling is very, very important) and said, "So many women, so little time!" She smiled and went on her way. And yes I have shopped in both male and female mode and have never been "hassled" by anyone.

When the going gets tough! The tough go shopping!

Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Ms. Erin
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Shopping and learning.

Post by Ms. Erin »

I hear you dear. I have been at the Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters thrift store a few times now, but I am a big size girl (22 or 3x plus size) so I don't have that much luck. I have found a few things, but nothing lately. Since the weather is calling for a warm coat, I might have to make another run soon. I usually end up going to Rainbow after I have browsed at the thrift store. Not to expensive, actually pretty low priced, and always great stuff in plus sizes. Depending on the deals you can find at the thrift store I think Rainbow average is about 3 times higher in price, but then brand new goodies.

I also shop a lot for my photography business at the thrift stores, always something to use as a prop. It should be known that photographers have the most variety of chairs, stools and the like. \:D/

Happy shopping.
I am a woman of trans experience.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

My husband shops at Goodwill, as a male. He has yet to go femme. I kinda cringe at that though. Maybe I'm being over protective. He tries things on at home and returns those that don't fit. Filling out his wardrobe was not expensive. After seeing some of the clothing, I started to go also for yard work clothes. Sometimes we catch ourselves holding up a skirt to his waist to see the length. Oops!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I have only gotten myself some women's jeans at a Goodwill, but we have gotten things for my wife and the grandkids there. It does take time to dig through everything and find those things are not worn out and are quality. The one thing that has kept me from the skirts and dresses is, at least at the ones I have been at, to ask someone to unlock a dressing room for you.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I like shopping everywhere, of course :lol: and I really like the deals at thrift shops. And I can really relate to your comment, Virginia, about finding the perfect skirt and then it's the wrong size #-o That happened to me just recently. The thrift store across the street from my apartment had this great leather skirt in size 8, which is my size. So I had my eye on it for a few weeks before finally deciding to get it. Then I tried it on and it was too small in the waist ](*,)

Shopping in thrift stores is a lot of fun because you never know what you will get. You could come away with a super deal, or be completely skunked. I've spent hours going through rack and been utterly disappointed, and then other times found a whole truckload of great stuff for $20. It's sort of like gambling, except that you never actually lose even when all your money is gone.
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Erin, there are two Goodwill's in Richmond near I-64 off W. Broad Street. They are about a mile apart. I have gotten some things there that are unbelievable.

Sarah, Not sure where you live, but none of the Goodwill dressing rooms where I have gone are locked.

Recently, in a local GoodWill, I came across a leather jacket (man's) $7.00. It does have a small monogram on it, probably a reward for something, but it is tastefully done and not really that noticeable other than the word "Professional." It was brand new, never been worn, lined and I found the inspection sticker in one pocket and the leather is so so soft. Then I found a leather manufacture's tag that says it is made of Australian lamb skin!!!!! It has to be one of the top three best finds I have made.

One other story that I have told before about shopping at GoodWill. In the local ones here they have big wire bins with a sign that says, "Ladies Bin." I even prowl through that. Believe it or not I have found some new and some, "well almost new" unmentionables - expensive unmentionables! I know they are expensive because I have priced them at retailers, sometimes nice hose still in their package, but I digress. I was going through the "ladies bin" at a local store and this kindly looking "granny lady" comes up, stops, looks at the sign, looks at me (Yes, I was in-drab) and says, "Kinda in the wrong bin aren't you sonny?" Well, I had found a really nice ladies leather, dress glove that fit me and was actually looking for the mate, I said,"Not if I can find the mate to this glove!" Like magic, she reached down in the bin and pulled the mate out and handed it to me and with a big grin she said, "Have a nice day!" and I did!!!!!!

Shop on, Ladies!
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

I haven't written about shopping for a long time. It still fascinates me that I enjoy it more as a woman, where it has little interest for me otherwise. (Something that many on here have also noted).

Virginia, a big problem for me is that the 100 dresses I have to wade through to find the 'right' one depress me so much that I don't want to continue the search. This also happens at Ross, or Nordstrom Rack. This is not useful behavior, and I have no defense for it. Some days it doesn't affect me as much.

I like shopping in girl mode more, because I can try things on right there. I've shopped for girl things while in guy mode, and it's harder to know if they're going to work. I don't tend to buy without trying on--one reason that I've never bought online.

Shopping for dresses in particular would be so much easier if I could just walk into Nordstrom and pay whatever price they ask there. I could see exactly what I'd be getting, and I wouldn't have to wade through all those uninspired designs and bad materials. Finding a dress that works on me is a major chore, and one I haven't done for far too long. If you're going to find good things at thrift stores, you have to go frequently, and keep at it. A once-a-month survey of Goodwill is not going to net you very much 'gold.'

If dressed male, I take the 'girl' clothes to the men's department fitting rooms. It's individual booths--no one is paying attention to what I try on. If I'm dressed gal, I go to the women's fitting rooms. I've never been denied this, but there have been some worried shopowners. I also note that one time someone removed my cart while I was trying on other things, and the two attendents somehow didn't see a thing. I have no idea what that was about, but I lost a dress that fit perfectly--that hurt.

It takes time and energy to get dressed and go out shopping, and I'm way too busy just working and keeping the household. There may come a day when I just switch over to gal mode overnight, the way one of our forum members did long ago. Then I'll be set up for paying more attention to what needs I have as a woman in the world. That's not happening anytime soon.
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

I do most of my shopping at Target, Big W and K Mart in Australia at stores away from my home.

I do it all in male mode as I do not have the courage or confidence at this time to take Requal outside of the house. (Besides I am very well known in my neighbourhood due to my community work and masculine employment).

One day, well away from my residence, Requal will make an appearance outside the security of home.
Requal
Carol Esme
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Carol Esme »

Hi Virginia,
In all my shopping I have only had one bad experience. I was in a charity shop in drab looking for a skirt when the elderly lady "assistant" pointed out that the men's clothes were in the other section. I said that I knew that and might look there later. I found exactly the denim skirt I wanted on special for only $2. Her look of disgust when I went to pay for it was priceless.
So one disaster out of hundreds counts as a victory for me.
Carol
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

ooo Carol, if that lady caught me at the wrong moment there would have been a cat fight of words. Something like, "so? and did you find anything you liked there?" when she said where the men's stuff was. And at the register, "what? my money isn't good enough for the organization?" or maybe "what? did I get your item you wanted?" How about, " oh my I just noticed how bad your make up is, it makes you look like a bitch... soo sorry for you".

Meow.

But really you handled her just fine.
{squeezes}
Davita
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

Davita!!! do they let you go out shopping without a chaperone to keep you in line :P

But I would like to be there to watch that :lol:

I've never had a problem shopping, dressed either way, except for one time in Texas. And that was the last time I ever shopped there.
Mike P.
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Mike P. »

I really have to try a goodwill, or thrift store soon, but after I get my measurements, so I don't buy the wrong size, instead of playing hit or miss. I agree with other ladies here, it is way more fun to show for fem clothing, which is why I never liked shoppin for men's, so boring.
"Let your heart sing loudly!"
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

Somehow I missed this post until now. Thanks Mike P (Samantha Jane) for bringing it up. Oh, and you can find your size by trying on clothing at the Good Will :-)

My SO has not given me permission to shop en femme yet, but by following the advice of others here I decided I had just as much right to shop in the women's department as much as anyone else. I now comfortably tend to my own business and browse through dresses, skirts, tops, etc. and I've yet to experience any discomfort other than my own apprehension (in the beginning).In fact, the last time I was at the GW I had a cute skirt in hand while browsing through others, and a middle aged lady said to me "there's another one just like that over here, did you see it". Ha, I was delighted and felt overwhelmingly justified that very moment.

The GW is a goldmine, and a lot of fun too. When I'm looking for something specific such as a 3/4 sleeve cropped navy cardigan it's going to have to be Macy's, but as for gathering a grip of new dresses to try out, the thrift stores are unbeatable.

I'm hoping soon I'll have the okay to do it in a dress one day, hint, hint. :-)
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

Hopefully one day I will be shopping dressed as a woman in a nice skirt and top or beautiful dress!
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

I have shopped and purchased and used fitting rooms twice. I did post that I have asked for help from sales girl. Like Robtn and Martha I really would like to shop as a lady. I have become more and more comfortable shopping the more I do it. Finding the time is one problem. I have been to a couple of GW's here and while I have purchased two skirts and the prices are good, haven't really had much success. I also think it would be helpful to go shopping with another wome. I see a lot of outfits on women that I think are really nice and would look good on me, but can't seem to find the right one when I shop. And like others have said the dress or jeans are there but not in my size. I will just keep trying.