Halloween Costume ideas

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

AprilC

Halloween Costume ideas

Post by AprilC »

Just wondering how many of us are considering incorporating the femme side into their Halloween costumes this year. *-*

Halloween has always been big fun since I was a kid. As an adult, I also love it. And I can always count on someone I know to throw a killer Halloween bash. I'm sort of known in my circle for taking the costume part really seriously, but I've never really considered incorporating dressing into the mix. For closeted dressers like yours truly, this is a chance to get out under the radar... but I fear that if I manage to pull it off too convincingly, people begin to wonder :-k

Because it's a scary holiday first and foremost though, I'm thinking along the lines of 'werewolf lady' or 'female vampire.' Maybe 'cheerleader zombie' or 'prom queen ghost.' Even 'evil princess' or 'traditional, broom riding witch' could be cool.

Or maybe keep the supernatural, but drop the scary. 'Mermaid' or 'Elf Maiden' come to mind. Perhaps 'Pixie' or 'Angel/Devil lady.'

One final observation...

I notice a lot of women's Halloween costumes are sort of sexy versions of stuff too. Sexy pirate, sexy nun, sexy flapper girl, sexy cheerleader (redundant?) which always struck me as a tad sexist as opposed to sexy. Wondering if there are any ladies costumes that are sort of PG rated too.

So howboutit? Anything come to mind? Maybe you already have this years costume picked out? <-->
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Halloween Costume ideas

Post by Martha G »

I am very much into costuming.

I plan to go as a Southern Belle to my Halloween party in a large hoop skirt, 115" hooped petticoat full of lace, pink satin pantellettes with plenty of lace, brown wig with curls, long pink gloves, lovely earrings, full makeup, a nice cape, a period hat with a large red feather and a small string purse.

If you wanted to go more Halloweenish I guess you could turn the Belle into a zombie or lady vampire with appropriate makeup, fans, etc.

I also have a lovely long Duchess gown with a slight train along with the long pink gloves, waist long wig ,hennen, mantilla with black side and back veil , period string purse and appropriate makeup.

You can by makeup turn the Duchess into and evil one or a vampire Duchess with appropriate fangs.

I went three years ago dressed as Mrs Bates from Psycho with old lady dress, granny wig, granny glasses, large rubber knife and appropriate makeup.

The best part is that most people thought that I was a "woman" dressed as Mrs. Bates.

These are some ideas that you could consider.

Hope that this helps.
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

AprilC wrote: I'm sort of known in my circle for taking the costume part really seriously, but I've never really considered incorporating dressing into the mix. For closeted dressers like yours truly, this is a chance to get out under the radar... but I fear that if I manage to pull it off too convincingly, people begin to wonder :-k
You're kind of answering your own question. I mean if you're "known...for taking the costume part really seriously", then a plausible woman is exactly what they'd expect you to try to achieve.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

In the last 10-ish years only one costume wasn't fem. Last year I was a nurse. I don't know if I have a playmate this year so I've been asking my buds. I told them I need a playmate so I can be a fairy nurse. I want to get big pretty wings to go with the uniform. :) I look at Halloween as a chance for my inner drag queen to get out and play.

One year I was the secretary from the movie of the same title. Three of us went to a club that night. My picture along with my playmates was posted to a radio station's web site. A girl took awhile before she finally walked up and asked if I was a guy. So I did pretty good I think.
{squeezes}
Davita
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Last year my BF and I went to a Halloween party at a friend's house. We decided to themed together and after tryingg several different costumes we ended up him as a priest and me the "naughty" nun. Granted the nun dress was pretty short, perhaps too short for an old lady like me, but we made a cute couple IMHO. I wore black sheer hose and 4" pumps to complete the outfit.

We are invited to the same party this year and are going looking for costumes tomorrow. I still want us to go themed but this year I want to win the best couple prize. He has suggested nurse and doctor or cowboy and saloon girl. Both have possibilities but I want to see what we can come up with.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

We have always dressed up for Halloween at work, one of the advantages of being the "artistic" bunch in a large corporation. Last year I went as a girl but intentionally didn't do it real well as I was still struggling with my identity and gender. Now that I have come out and everyone knows I am going to transition I know I am going to be under the microscope. Haven't decided on exactly what I am going to be but I do know it is going to be a feminine costume.

I thought about just going as a "regular" girl but they will see that soon. Your costume sounds great Martha but doubt I would get much work in a hoop skirt. I doubt it would even got under me desk! :lol: I need something that says girl but yet not just everyday clothes. Any suggestions girls?
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

Heather W wrote: Last year I went as a girl but intentionally didn't do it real well as I was still struggling with my identity and gender....Haven't decided on exactly what I am going to be but I do know it is going to be a feminine costume....
When I was at school, I played Titania in a school play. I had exactly that problem. I was too convincing in the part. I do think part of that was the role had a kind of resonance for me. So, now that you can do it and not worry too much about overdoing it, is there a character that resonates like that for you?
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

I worked for the "Mouse" for 30 years and in the beginning they had a strict dress code. Then in the early 80's we got a new supervisor and the first thing he did was to throw all that away. I took full advantage of it and started to grow my hair out and had my ears pierced. A few guys had one pierced but I had both for obvious reasons. Well one summer day I wore a pink polo shirt and white jeans and the guys starting teasing me calling me Cinderella. Fast forward a couple of months and the boss posted we were expected to come to work in costume for Halloween. I overheard a couple of my co-workers bemoaning the idea as they read the notice and one say "I wonder what Cinderella will wear?"

Yes I went as Cinderella in a long flowing pink dress, tiara on my head and a blonde wig in an updo. The only flaw in my costime was I wore white pumps not glass slippers. Needless to say it wasn't the most conducive outfit to work in but I had fun. I even won the prize for best costume, dinnner for 2 at a local and very expensive restaurant. As I was getting ready to leave work that day one of the secretaries, a woman in her 50's, came over to tell me how much she loved my costume and I had gone to a great of trouble and expense as most of the crew had just bought cheap costumes. I thanked her and then she smiled and said something to the effect that this was not the first time I had worn a dress and heels. I laughed and said no and it wasn't going to be the last either. :)
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

I thought may be a Caityn Jenner costume might be fun... trying to rock that VF cover look... that is until I came across this article in Cosmo... "10 Offensive Halloween Costumes That Shouldn't Exist" http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beaut ... umes-2015/. I did not think it would be offensive to anyone but I guess I see the point. Oh well... the search continues!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Interesting article, thanks for posting it Alisa. I have always dressed up for Halloween even if it as just for a party at work and to pass out candy to the trick or treaters I have done pretty much the gamut from a black cat (black leotard and tights with an ears tiara and whiskers) to the sexy nurse, librarian, etc. Even after moving up here where we do "trunk or treat" I still do a costume for handing out the candy. Not sure what I am going to do this year, have to see what fits still and go from there.

Personally I don't find the Caitlyn Jenner costume offensive if it is done tastefully Alisa and I am sure that is how you would do it. Now if some hairy man with a mustache and a cheap wig wore it that would be offensive. That is how I saw first saw it advertised. As for most of the other costumes they show, well the terms tasteless and crude come to mind.

To be honest most of the costumes marketed for women fall in to Cosmo's definition of offensive. Just look around at the costume store and you are nurses, pirates, librarians, sailors, nuns, etc. all showing a good deal of leg and cleavage. In their opinion this is seually demeaning to women and I suppose it could be seen that way but come on! As I said over the years I have done of a lot of those looks and yes generally playing on the sexy side. Maybe at 62 I should consider something old-ladyish but not this year. As long as the legs hold up and they make push-up bras I'll play up the stereotypes for a while! :)
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

Left my Morticia outfit in Louisiana. Poo!

Maybe I can put together a Sultan outfit, like the one I just put in my picture album. I still use it for a FB icon - Beth was so proud of me!
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

I work as a waitress at a small family style restaurant. We always dress up for Halloween and I have done several different costumes. Last year another girl and I wore 50's style waitress outfits li!e you would have seen in a diner. We even has the little white caps and pinnd our hair up. This year Kathy and I are doing car hop outfits. We are skipping the roller skates, I'd probably fall and break my neck :lol: but other than that they look like something straight out of Happy Days.