Comments from cashiers or sales people.

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Comments from cashiers or sales people.

Post by Requal Jo »

I cannot recall ever having a bad time with other customers when shopping.

And, yes, I go straight to the lady's wear when purchasing for Requal.
Requal
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Sarah Beth wrote:The clerk came and asked if my wife was coming in soon and I said no its just me and she said then you should wait until she can come in with you.
OMG!!! ..OO.. For real!?!?! Completely uncalled for. -,,-

Actually, this reminds me of one time I was in a women's shoe store... I was buying a pair of boots for my girlfriend that see had her eyes on. It was around for Christmas time, and I thought the boots would make for a great gift! They were, but I digress... Anyways, I asked the sales ladies if she had the size... and she reluctantly did so. Not friendly at all. I did not feel welcomed in the store... just a weird vibe, y'know? Even just trying to get someone to help me was difficult. She rang up my purchase, and while she wasn't really being rude, there was no politeness there at all. No smile, not even a thank you. Didn't even let me know about the return policy. Well... I felt deflated. Not a fun experience... but at least the boots were a Christmastime hit!
Stephanie M wrote:Another question, when you go shopping in a department store do you go straight to the ladies wear, or do you gradually make your way there?
I used to take my time years ago... but lately, I just head straight there! :mrgreen:
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

Sarah Beth wrote:I honestly don't know how you all can not have ever had a bad experience with it. I guess maybe I just run to bad luck .
Yeah it does sound like you have bad luck. :mrgreen:

I was in Macy's buying 2 pretty nighties once, the only register that was open was in the sports section, kind of ironic the most "manly" part of the store, anyway the guy checked me out and the only thing he said was looks like you are in for a fun weekend. I think he thought they were for my wife.
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

I used to take my time years ago... but lately, I just head straight there! :mrgreen:
I just recently started heading straight for the goods and so far no one has even looked at me funny.
Though self-checkouts do help if I start feeling nervous.
Well, we all have a face
And we take them out
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Well, we all have a face
And we take them out
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

I've never had any negative things said to me either by customers or staff when buying clothing or makeup. When we lived in Anchorage we used to frequent a store called "Just For Me". The ladies there got to know us and I would pop in there on the pretence of buying a gift for my wife when it was really for me. I was looking through the winter pyjamas for my wife, brushed cotton PJ's not sexy but damn warm for the Alaskan winter. Another woman customer saw me and gave me a somewhat dirty look, I just smiled at her and went on looking.

Big box stores are great for buying clothes, shoes and makeup as the cashiers are usually to rushed to even see what they just scanned.
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

Michelle Diane wrote:
Big box stores are great for buying clothes, shoes and makeup as the cashiers are usually to rushed to even see what they just scanned.

Yes most of the time they don't seem to care as long as it scans without problem then all is ok.
Well, we all have a face
And we take them out
Tammy_F
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tammy_F »

I once had a cashier tell me her husband was a crossdresser too. That was really neat.
Carole Hill
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Carole Hill »

Yes, I have been fortunate enough to have received compliments from cashiers, etc. It always makes me feel good!
Hugs, Carole
Ms. Erin
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ms. Erin »

The only thing I can add to this post is that once in the beginning of my shopping spree, I had a female staff help me find an outfit. She told me to go to the fitting room and start trying on one piece as she searched for another one. I asked her the male or female fitting room? She said that was a good question, so she send me over to the male fitting room. When I came out of the male fitting room she told me her manager told her I am to use the female fitting room.

On the other hand, once at a Cato (not my regular Cato but in another city) I was told by the store manager, after the store associate let me in the fitting room: "this is a female fashion store and you are not allowed to enter the fitting room" I was already in the process of legally transitioning but didn't receive my updated drivers license with the female gender marker yet.

These moments just popped back in my memories. Great to be a woman, 24/7 and legal. I wouldn't ever think of going to the male area, including the restrooms.
I am a woman of trans experience.
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

I have found before now that if you're looking at ladies clothing or make up while presenting as male, shop staff tend to become suspicious. Suspicious of what is a little hard to second guess but I remember at one supermarket as I looked at a make up display someone asked "Need help?" when what he really meant was "I'm watching you." If I know what I want and where to find it, say a packet of nylons, I find it quite easy to go for them quickly and then get on with the rest of the shopping, but as I've gained experience in going out dressed I now feel quite comfortable shopping as a woman - and nobody says a word out of turn.
Penny
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Penelope,

I think that for the most part, when shopping presenting as a man, either buying for themselves or for a wife/girlfriend, etc, most of the men are kind of clueless on what they want. Also, they will very likely be nervous. SAs don't know if they are nervous because of what they are buying, or because they may be planning of shoplifting... so that may explain why they may have that attitude.

So, if you act or even pass a vibe like you don't belong in the women's clothing/lingerie/shoes department, then people will react accordingly, IMHO.

Gaby
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

How do you all know if a cashier believes you're female, or figures it out and plays along? This seems a good topic to ask in. Recently, hubby went food shopping while femme. She's way too timid to clothes shop yet. I'm not too keen on that either. As she, she often wonders if others see her as a big, slightly homely woman, or a CD/TG? Called that all important 'Ma'am' is key. I just see his familiar male face with make up and therefore can't offer an honest opinion.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Eileen,

The thing about passing is that most of the time you can't really be sure if it is all in your mind... just like it is when you think that everybody is thinking that you are a man in a dress. There are very few times when I have been able to tell that I was being accepted as a female. Usually that only comes when for some reason you end up outing yourself.
Example, after shopping for maybe 30 minutes getting help from the same SA. you decide what you want, and go to the register with her. Then she rings you up, and you use your credit card with your legal (male) name in it. Then she asks you if you are an authorized user so you show your photo id. Then you see her reaction. If she knew all along, you will see an "A-ha!". If not, then you will see a real look of surprise.

But many interactions, if you are dealing with a good sales rep, even when surprised (or if they knew from the first second) you may not get any reaction. Does that mean that you passed? More likely not. But it would mean that at least you were accepted as a customer without any issues.

One of the very few times I have known I was fully accepted as a woman... At a Dillard's here in town. Very hot day, A/C at the store not 100% functional. Tried something on, when out and at the cashier, she made a comment to apologize for the A/C issues, seeing that I was "glowing" (Ok, ok... sweating! :) ) So, in the small talk she said it had been a couple hours since the A/C was bad, and she feel all sticky sweating under her bra (She had on a cardigan twin set). Simple short fact/phrase which you would agree she wouldn't say to any random guy.

Gaby
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Eileen (SO) wrote:How do you all know if a cashier believes you're female, or figures it out and plays along?
My suspicion is that they probably do know and are just playing along... at least based on my own limited experience that is, LOL! :mrgreen:

The last time I was out, shopping, it was in a women's clothing shop. I knew they had me figured out even before I walked in... but still, they asked if they could help me find anything... they offered a nice compliment or two and they even offered to start a room for me (which I declined - not ready for that just yet!). But it wasn't just one of the SA's... it was all three of them who were working there that day. They really made an effort to try to make me feel comfortable and welcomed. And even though they were "playing along", it was still awesome. It was such an incredible experience. And for that reason, the next time I am able to get out again, I know where I'll be shopping! :)