Comments from cashiers or sales people.

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

PaulaGarnet GG
Miss Silver Goddess

Re: Comments from cashiers or sales people.

Post by PaulaGarnet GG »

This topic made me think of shopping many many years ago with my mother. Mid 50's thru the early 60's, when I was finally old enough to do my own shopping. This was in southern California and in the major department stores, the ladies department managers looked like they were drill sargents from the WACS! If a male came into the department with a wife or girl friend there was no problem, but if he ventured in alone, "Sarge" would be on the poor guy, like a cat on a mouse. Most I remember would tell her it was for a gift, and she would ask for body shape and size and give the suggestion to go home and look at whatever item it was for a size tag and then come back. I didn't know about CD's TG's etc. so I just thought it was a gift, like he said. I don't recall it being as difficult in the small dress shops, so I guess they were a lot smarter and just wanted to make a sale, and helped him the best they could.

I know today, I don't see the "third degree" I used to when a man goes into the stores, so I hope that there is headway being made, and I hope it will so be as easy for a male to buy whatever he wants from the woman's department as it is for a woman to buy anything she wants from the men's department.
I'm a GG and love to chat with anyone, except people that hate.
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Your post brings back memories of my early days Paula. I came out back in 1979 and was living in, well near San Francisco. I remember going into a small dress shop one day, I was dressed, and started looking at the dresses there. The sales clerk who turned out to be the owner came over to me and seeing my nervousness suggested I come back in a hour. It was about 4 in the afternoon and the store closed at 5. I thought she was trying to just get rid of me but I left and got back just before 5 and went in.

Sharon, the owner, told me to just go ahead and browse and to try on anything I liked and locked up. She told me she could see I was trying and felt I would be more comfortable this way. Well I ended up buying a dress and a skirt that first time but Sharon had a customer for life! I not only continued to patronize Sharon's shop but also recommended it to many other girls over the years and was sad when she finally closed in the early 90's. The trick ladies is build a relationship with and SA and shop there! They appreciate the business and can become good fashion advisors.
PaulaGarnet GG
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by PaulaGarnet GG »

Trudy, you made the golden statement, build a relationship with someone in the store and they will welcome you with open arms every time! It's sad that the small shops are being forced out of business because of the big box stores that have the ability to buy things by the hundreds and the small shops can only afford to buy maybe ten. There was a small shop that I bought at for about five years and if they didn't have it in stock, they would order it for me. Sadly just after the first of last year, they too fell victim to the mall shops and closed. If I could find another small shop to patronize, I would drive extra miles to do so because even GG's like personalized service.
I'm a GG and love to chat with anyone, except people that hate.
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

So true about the smaller shops Paula. It is sad they are disappearing but that is allegedly progress. I have always been willing to go out of my way and pay a little more for that personal touch. Hopefully the trend to the mega stores will reverse so future generations can experience true customer service.
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

PaulaGarnet GG wrote:Trudy, you made the golden statement, build a relationship with someone in the store and they will welcome you with open arms every time! .
I have that at Payless, there is a lady there that always helps me when I come in. I always thank her for being so sensitive to my needs. She says that I'm not the only man that she helps find shoes.
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

I think it was probably 10 years ago or so I was out shopping and on my way from one store to the mall I stopped at Starbucks for a coffee. Ahead of me were 4 CD's dressed to the nines and from the conversations I overheard on a shopping spree. I waited patiently and soon it was my turn and I ordered my coffee. As this was near where I was living at the time I was a semi regular and the girl behind the counter recognized me, As she handed me my coffee she cast a glance at the 4 girls sitting in the corner and said something like "At least one of them looks good." I smiled and laughed "They all try hard I am sure. Be kind, you know what it takes to be beautiful." All she could do was giggle.
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Stephanie M wrote:I have that at Payless, there is a lady there that always helps me when I come in.
Same here! She knows me on a first name basis as I used to go there a lot! She knows that when I come in, I just like to take my time, take a look around - no hassles, just a friendly hello and "let me know if you need help finding anything".

I have yet to go there en femme... have only always gone in drab. Last time I was there, she told me how nice it was too see me, that she hadn't seen me in some time - which is true because: a) I have more than enough shoes and boots to last a while and b) because I have been trying to buy better quality footwear from other places.

However, I do feel I should go in again soon. And not because I particularly want or need anything, but only because of the great customer service. Hey, now what does that tell you!?!?! I don't want anything. I don't need anything. But... I am going to buy something just because I like the service!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Husband browses Payless for jewelry and also has a similar relationship with the manager. Since it's very local, she's been there only once all prettied up. The manager lady recognized her right away and gave a big compliment. It would have been a bigger thrill if she wasn't recognized as the local CD guy.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Debbie Jean
Account Deactivated at Member's Request

Post by Debbie Jean »

Yeah Sarah Beth, I had an interesting experience in a Sears store a couple months ago. I was in the hardware dept, dressed totally in "male" mode (except for Vanity Fair Lace Noveau panties) and paying for a pipe wrench. The cashier was a man. There was a woman behind the counter with him (another employee). She said that when her break was over she had to go back to her station, which happened to be in the lingerie dept. She asked me to go back there with her. On our way up there, she kept asking me lots of questions about my lingerie preferences. She never asked me anything about a wife or a girlfriend. It's like she instinctively knew I was shopping for myself. Well, she wound up selling me a yellow (my favorite lingerie color) satin baby doll PJ set in 3X. Yellow satin top with yellow chiffon "mini-skirt" sewn on at the bottom, with matching yellow nylon panties . Very sexy and incidentally very comfortable too. I think those totally unplanned shopping experiences are the most enjoyable ones

hugs,
Deb
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Deb, maybe the SA had seen you in her department before or your purchased something from her before. Would be interesting to know how she knew about you.

A week or so my wife and I were shopping at my favorite Lane Bryant store for my wife. The SA's know me well in both modes and treat the both of us very well. Of course when ever I come in I almost always buy something and I am sure that helps. The SA's were very helpful to my wife all the time chatting with me and helping others also.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Debbie Jean
Account Deactivated at Member's Request

Post by Debbie Jean »

Kimberly, that was the first time I shopped for any type of clothing in that store. Go figure.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I can still remember the first time I went shopping dressed and being scared stiff. I tried on several things which bolstered my confidence and it wasn't until I was checking out and handed the cashier my credit card. She looked at it then at me and asked to see some ID. I was shaking like a leaf as I handed her my drivers license. She took a look at it then my credit card. She then smiled and handed me back my license and out my card through.

Attention girls! 99.99% of the sales associates out there don't care! It is just a job to them so do as you want and enjoy. As for that 0.01% report them to the store management then on the store's website. Take note of the SA's name and the time and date of the incident. Don't whine or sermonize just state the facts. Brick and mortar stores are having enough trouble drawing customers to risk alienating even a single one.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Denice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Denice »

I went into a local Rainbow shop this week. I wanted to try some sports bras. (They are the very first bras of any sort that I own.) I can't believe that I actually asked a sales associate if I could try them on. She smiled brightly and said "Sure, no problem. Let me know how they fit, if they don't I'll see what we have that will."

The cashier, an older woman, rang up my order was also pleasant. By that time I was a little nervous and I guess it showed. She smiled and said "Don't be shy, stop in any time".
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

:) Wonderful feeling isn't it Denice? If you are like all the rest of us once you let the Genie out of the bottle she is never going back!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Denice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Denice »

Diana Michelle wrote::) Wonderful feeling isn't it Denice? If you are like all the rest of us once you let the Genie out of the bottle she is never going back!
Can't wait to go back there. It's nice to feel welcomed.