First support group meeting

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Ginny Jones
Miss Platinum Goddess

First support group meeting

Post by Ginny Jones »

I went to my first support group meeting last night and wanted to write some notes down so as to remember it. I was about to do that when it occurred to me that it would be just as well to make that a post! Obviously I wouldn't say anything that identifies individuals and so I have left that kind of detail out. So here goes!

Well it has taken me about a month to get the meet organised. Thankfully, I managed to get in contact with a member of the group and she took me under her wing and promised to meet me at the door.

So once the meet was organised I had the best part of a month to gradually send myself completely crazy! :roll:

I'm sure they'll all look like they've stepped out of Miss Thailand! - And I look like a pig in Lipstick!
How am I going to speak to them - I've never really had to sustain a feminine voice for any length of time!
OMG - how am I going to handle meeting a bloke in a dress! I've never done that before!
What if I get stopped by the police on the motorway!

...to name but a few of the thoughts rattling around in my head!

So I was nicely cranked up on the evening in question! Especially since I had to get dressed in a layby en route! Other than that, the trip was uneventful! I checked the mirror when I got there and had to redo some of my makeup since I realised that it looked as if it had been applied with my feet! But then I was ready!

At this point, my friend pops her head out of the front door and I make my introductions. Then we're inside and more introductions! Everybody is lovely! They couldn't be more welcoming! Then we're making a cup of Tea and I'm being asked by a natural born girl (SO) where I bought my dress as she really likes it (Hey Toto - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!).

All that neurotic rubbish rolls over and just sinks! It was amazing! I met some lovely people of all ages (well - 40+), swapped tips, talked about transitioning, discovered some local events, and even made some good local contacts - one of which owns a clothes warehouse (She shoots!, she scores!, the crowd go wild! Yeahhhhh!). *-*

I kept to using a feminine voice. To begin with I was a little tentative and so people were having difficulty hearing me - but once I turned the volume up, this seemed fine! I think I will continue to do this even though some of the others at the group don't feel the need. It'll give me somewhere to practice. I chatted for about three hours and could have easily done another three. No sore throat or anything!

For the next meeting, my friend offered me the opportunity of changing at her house and then we can both travel in together. So no laybys - which is a real improvement / safer!

So that's it really! It was an absolute joy and I can't wait to get to the next meeting!

Hugs Ginny x
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: First support group meeting

Post by Davita »

Wonderful, Ginny! Congrats for getting to the group and congrats they were a good group.
{squeezes}
Davita
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Yes to be with like others and not feel out of place, my first real support group I took the wife as she was welcome and she was surprised at how many wifes were there.

And right off the bat they took her under their wings so to speak. Now no one try to talk like a women we just used out everyday voice. It was a grand time and this group had many contacks and was very active and once every other month was a girls night out and we went everywere and anywhere all planned way ahead of time.

Enjoy your group and have fun @@9@@
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Hi Ginny--
I'm glad it went well. It's always good to hear about a support group coming through for one of us.
Ginny Jones
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ginny Jones »

Thanks girls - yes it really worked out for me! I think that once a month is going to be a little limited and so I might travel to the Bristol one as well! Let's see!

Hugs Ginny x
Paula G
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Paula G »

A good group is invaluable,both in support and developing friendships, of course it is also a regular reason for getting dressed :)
Paula

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't mean it's not true
JoAnnDallas
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by JoAnnDallas »

Look around and ask some of the girls about other support groups. I recently moved to a new city and discovered a different support group that meets either on Friday evening or Saturday evening. So now I have a group I can go to once a week except for those months that have five weekends. LOL Back in Dallas, TX we only had two groups.