Thrift store shopping.

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Starla
Miss Crystal Goddess

Thrift store shopping.

Post by Starla »

As a crossdresser do you ever think about the previous owner of your purchases, type of person looks, personality etc. To me there just clothes, but sometimes think previously a gg body was in them? We had charity clothing sale at church made a few purchases, when I got home found a couple things had the persons name tag in it. Recognized it as a member, I knew just seems a strange coincidence, to know the person. That we've even volunteer on some programs together.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Thrift store shopping.

Post by Davita »

Sometimes I think of it... It's like they aren't women's panties if a woman never owned them... Now? I am the woman so anything I buy are women's. My spouse and I share some things so I know the previous owner :) in those cases. My GG buds and I aren't the same sizes so there's no sharing there, but I'm sure if we were, they would be borrowing from me more than I would from them since I tend to have the newer items (too much shopping - NOT).
{squeezes}
Davita
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

I won't go into the number of bargains I have found in "thrift stores." Well, one, a lined leather coat --- NEVER WORN -- with tags in the pockets. Australian lamb skin. Internet review $1200.00, Got it for $10.00.

The thing that fascinates me is the things hanging on the racks! I look at some of those dresses, skirts, blouses, and ............... no offense, but who in their right mind would spend money on "that?"

Just saying!

V
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I had honestly never thought about who might have worn the used clothing I bought. That is until I read this thread now I'm wondering all sorts of things. Half of what I have came from thrift stores or used on ebay so a lot of what I have someone wore previously. Now I am going to wonder what they looked like and why they got rid of it.

I have to agree with Virginia sometimes I look at things in thrift stores of on ebay and I have to wonder what they were thinking when they bought that in the first place. Of course when I'm shopping on line and see some of the stuff advertised I wonder who in the world would buy something so hideous and so expensive.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I suggest you also look at Consignment shops..
I have done very well at them. A lot of new things and
very reduced prices. Usually not that crowded and the
SAs will almost always let you try on the clothes.
Be sure to wear your breastforms and underdress if in male clothes.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I have not yet shopped at a consignment shop, in this area they are rather small compared to the GW boutique. (Goodwill) For our getting dirty around the home, casual clothing, we buy at resale shops only.

Just a few times have I thought about the garment being previously worn. As kids, we wore family hand me downs. Not much difference once the garment is clean. Finding a name tag from someone you know is a new one. I haven't had clothes labeled since Day Camp. Do adults put their name on their clothes? I mean, other than a psyhc ward?

Is knowing the previous wearer intriguing only if they were good looking?

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I have bought more than a couple of things at consignment shops, particularly party type dresses when I can find one that fits right. Being 5'8" means I have to be careful that what looks cute on a hanger doesn't always translate when on. :( The advantages of consignment shops are many. You can find designer outfits at a fraction of the cost, you don't have to worry who has seen you in that dress, and the atmosphere is more relaxed than a retail store. Also you can consign outfits you no longer need or want, I have done it many times, even with dresses I bought at the consignment store just a few weeks earlier after they have served their purpose. The only article I have ever bought at the GW Boutique is a pair of boots that were brand new, my size, and in style at a fraction of the price that was originally marked on the box. I have looked at the rest of the clothes there but nothing has ever screamed "BUY ME". I have bought other things there though such as knick knacks, a bed spread for the guest bedroom, and even a set of jumper cables.

Janet is correct in taking your breast forms with you and if you don't have them with you remember what it will look like when you cinch or corset and pad. Personally if I am going shopping specifically for a dress I always wear skin tone hose and a neutral color heel so I can get an idea of what it will look like when I actually wear it out. Also wear a skirt or jeans and easy to get off top, a heck of a lot easier in the dressing room than struggling with a tight dress with a back zipper! :(
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

Donna
When you pick out what you like. Hold them up.
And just ask the manager where you can try them on.
Be casual about it like you did it every day and
she will be quick to say "sure" and point you to the
fitting area.
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Thrift stores and consignment shops are great! I love perusing the racks to find a bargain and yes many times I wonder what type of woman owned them before, particularly with higher end clothing. Like Virginia I have found many "steals" at these types of shops including a new Coach purse with tags still attached for $12!

I don't know about around any of you girls but where I live one of the consignment shops offers a rental program for the fancier dresses and gowns. Many of the outfits show both the rental price as well as how much to buy it. I have yet to rent a dress but have thought about it. A week or so ago the BF and I went to a fundraiser and I looked for a dress at this shop, unfortunately I couldn't find anything that fit and looked good on me but I will look again should the need arise.

To give you an idea how the rental thing works let's say you have a designer gown that would cost $500 or more if new. At this consignment shop the price to buy it would probably be $200 to $250 generally, the actual price can vary but from what I have seen this is a good rule of thumb. To rent that same designer dress would probably $75 to $100 plus the cost of dry cleaning before you return it. I talked with the owner of the shop when I was in there trying to find a dress and she said she started the rental deal last year for the Christmas party season after reading it about it online. She said rentals now constitute close to 20% of her business and the consigner gets a piece of the rental. For now she only rents gowns and party dresses but is thin king of expanding it to include more of the dressier clothes. I have a couple of dresses in my closet bought for special occasions I will probably never wear again and am thinking of taking them into her. Well OK, maybe more that a couple :lol: !
Kim D.
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Kim D. »

I love going to the GW to see what seals and steals I can find. In the bygone years there was a stigma to shopping at places like this but over the years that has changed for the better. The GW's and Salvation Army stores near me are brightly lit, offer a wide variety of high quality clothing at reasonable prices, and even have nice dressing rooms. I was at one of the local Salvation Army stores just before Christmas and found 3 sweaters and a skirt in like new condition and it cost me less than $20! I highly doubt I could have bought a single of these at a retail store for double what I spent on all of them!

I do sometimes ponder who wore some of the clothes I find. I wonder where she wore it and why she elected to get rid of such a nice article of clothing.
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

I have gotten some absolutely fabulous things in thrift stores!!!!

As for wondering who owned it before not really. There are a myraid of reasons why you find some of the things you do. What "blows my mind," is some of the styles and colors that I see. I mean who in their right mind would buy that? and worse yet who would wear it and in public?

Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

Here in SoCal there are many resale shops and thrift stores. I shop them on a regular basis and have found some real steals including Designer dresses at Goodwill for $25 and a Michael Kors purse still with the tags on it at a resale shop for $7!

Yes when I find designer clothes or accessories at a thrift store I think of who owned it before, why they bought it and perhaps even more so why is it here now? I do enjoy wearing nice clothes and thrift and resale shopping allows me to wear clothes I could never afford otherwise. The other advantage of thrift shopping is it allows one to update their wardrobe at much accelerated pace and a fraction of the cost.
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

I have never given a thought to who wore what I buy at thrift stores, to me they are just good deals on clothes. I work as a waitress and our mandated uniform is black skirt and white blouse. Any of you who have worked in food service know clothes have a way of taking a beating with stains. Why should I pay $30 or more for a skirt or $20 for a blouse when I can get them like new or occasionally even new at a fraction of that? Yes I have bought clothes other than work clothes at thrift shops or consignment stores but those are a bonus, my main reason for shopping there is work.
SarahMicheline
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by SarahMicheline »

I too love Charity Stores as they are known in the UK. In some areas there a loads belonging to the big charities who only put out the best of donations. If find that I don't mind taking a put on a whole range of skirts, blouses - if they don't look good or don't fit I haven’t spent that much on them! I also find you can get some really good quality clothing - even designer at for the cost of a few ££'s
“Rules are there to be broken…”
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

When I first moved out on my own I shopped the thrift and resale stores as I started to build my wardrobe. Offered the opportunity to acquire quantity without a high cost. Also one could buy a wide variety of styles and looks to find out what looks good on you and you like. Then I went through a period of "I would never think of buying used clothing". That was in my mid to late 20's and like way too many of my generation I was hung up on myself. Then as I started to come out of the closet and would shop with my friends I found out thrift shopping can be fun. A few weeks ago I took the remnants of my drab wardrobe to the Goodwill and took the time to look around. Found 3 sweaters, one new still with the tags on it and the other two like new, and walked out for just a little over $10! Any one of those would have cost me double that even on sale.

To answer your question Starla do I think about who wore it before me, no. I do have to admit I do think a bit about what type of person would get rod of new or like new clothes? At least the Goodwill near me seems to have a vast supply of high quality clothes at very good prices.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr