Choosing a bra is difficult.

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Wesley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: Choosing a bra is difficult.

Post by Wesley »

If I may chime in. . .

One thing that infuriates me is the constant evolution of bras over time. You find something you like and that fits well, gives you the feeling you like and want, and boom, the manufacture discontinues it.

In the late 1990, Lands end offered a soft cup bra, which featured convertible straps, and a very soft tricot type fabric. 36B fit perfectly as I was using Amona size 4 breast forms. Luckly, I purchased a few extras. I still have a couple in pristine condition. (Never in a dryer) and always washed in gentle fabric bags. But I digress.

About 2 years later, Lands End totally discontinued bras. . . Tried several others during the 2000's but none that I liked as much.

Finally a few years ago, I tried a hanes sports T back at wal Mart. It took a while to get used to putting it on, but I really like them. I also discovered American Apparel and their interlock bra, which is actually a bralet with crossover straps. In size 4 it fit well, and was comfortable with forms.

Sadly another bra, I don't recall where it came from, but basically was a bifurcated cup plain, no significant support but the same thing you would have found at TG&Y (Local five and dime years ago), probably made in Bangladesh for .17 cents, but holds the forms well and is quite comfortable. . .

And that does not even consider changes in weight over the years. . .When will it ever end?
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

If you are looking for help on line for buying breastforms, I strongly
suggest you call the number on the breastformstore
The woman will help you choose the right breastforms for you.
be sure you know your band size (measure around the back under your breast.
Triangular breastforms are best to fit in a bra. Go with a smaller cup size than
you expect. If you plan to blend when dressed that larger cup will make your breast appear
too big.
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

KimberlyS wrote:If you truly want the right sized bra and one that fits well, the best thing is to go in and get a bra fitting.
Personally, I must have been lucky in finding bras that are comfortable and that fit, for the most part... but I have been curious about bra fittings. I understand that Victoria's Secret is CD friendly... there may be other places as well, but it just sounds like a fun, feminine experience. Plus you are getting a properly fitted bra! So why not?

My only concern is how do they measure you? They can measure with your shirt still on, right? Might sound like a silly question, but for those of us who are a tad self conscious... it might help to know the details and what to expect before going in! ^^_||
CharLee
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by CharLee »

You make an appointment, go in with your bra & forms ( you can go in drab with forms in a bag ) then they take you to a fitting room. You remove your shirt ( top ) and put your bra and forms on and they measure you to see if you are wearing the right bra.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

How they measure you can vary. Char has one way. At Lane Bryant several times I have seen them pull out a tape measure just measure them right there in the open. They tell them that is a starting point and they go and pick out several bras depending on the likes of the customer and what the SA thinks may work. Then they try on and check the fit of the bra and adjust as needed.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Thank you, CharLee and Kimberly! :)

I suppose each place is different, but its good to have a general idea of how it works! :yes:
Deanna
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Deanna »

I am a researcher for a hobby and I spent considerable time researching how to measure for a bra before ordering. I bought breast forms and a bra from Janet's Closet using the measurements I came up with and they fit and feel nice. However, I have to laugh because I finally experienced "the girls getting loose" when one of the forms popped out when I was putting on shoes. At first I got upset, then I started laughing as I realized I just learned a valuable lesson!

I am not looking for a new bra at the moment, but I'm sure it won't be too much longer. There are some great insights in this thread, thanks!
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

I just steal my wife's bras :mrgreen:
I'm finding I like camisoles better than bras.
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

Stephanie M wrote:I just steal my wife's bras :mrgreen:
I'm finding I like camisoles better than bras.
LOL me too, or I used to. My wife has so many she could wear a different one each day for at least 2 maybe 3 months without putting any in the wash. :shock: She gave me some sport bras and they are super comfortable with my forms.
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

My wife got frozen shoulder a few years back so she has a hard time with a regular bra and wears sports bras that you can just put on without having to latch. So I get to use any regular bras she has left.
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Deanna
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Deanna »

I read an article yesterday about how most women wear the wrong sized bra. This makes me feel a little bit better about taking my own measurements and ordering one online. I'm so surprised at how much confusion there seems to be about something that women wear every day, well, most of them anyway.