construction supplies

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

construction supplies

Post by Ralitsa »

maybe this doesn't qualify as "fun stuff", but:
one of the things that I love about wearing a dress while going to Lowe's or Menard's is that all the young men want to load things for you.
Yesterday after work I stopped by to get some bags of concrete mix, and as soon as I walked in one of them asked if I needed any help. At first I was going to say no, the question seemed almost sexist as if I didn't know where I was going or couldn't take care of myself. But then I said "yes, I need to get some bags of concrete." So he got the cart and went to the concrete and loaded them up while I stood there like "I can't possibly be expected to get concrete dust on my dress or crack my nails doing this".
So who is worse? I don't know, but it was fun anyway.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: construction supplies

Post by Davita »

If you think about the situation as you did, then maybe you're the worst (worser? worerest?). The guy is probably paid to ask and maybe you looked like you had an actual question.

Now you being in a dress? Darn straight I ain't gonna be crawling around in the dirt trying to pick up dirty bags. Had I been in jeans and a messy top, then maybe. You were right to not want to get your dressier things messed up. Besides, did you remember to not wear the holey undies?

When I go to any of those type of stores in a dress, I'm not planning on doing the heavy lifting. The staff is prepared for it and I'm not. Most times it seems, I have another woman helping me so in your case, it happened to be a boy. Other times after feeding the vampires, they tell you don't be lifting heavy things so guess what. Hey staff....

I don't know if you have done this yet which is to ask a DYI question about some project you have, while you're all prettied up. I always seem to get a much longer answer than when drab. That's when you realize there is still some sexism out there.

Oh and yeah, it's fun to walk about in the "man's world" and shop, just not in their clothes departments.
{squeezes}
Davita
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Oh Ralitsa what fun. I have done that also. Try it in heels. I think they hear the click of the heels and all of the SA's come flying to see / help the gal in a dress/skirt and heels.

I one time had a kid helping me load up the trailer. He wanted to put all of the light stuff on top and the heavy stuff on the bottom. Do they not teach kids anything. I had to correct him multiple times that the light small stuff went in the trunk of the car, the light big stuff went on the bottom and heavy stuff on top to hold it down. I finally had to step in and help lift the heavy bundles of insulation as he was struggling. :mrgreen:

kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

It's not sexist to expect men to load a woman's car, it's respect. If you wear jeans and a contractor hat, that's different. But if you take the time to dress as a lady, don't show off how much concrete you can lift. In a real woman's world, men open doors and lift and load things for you and we like it that way.

Most likely, these guys are thinking what kind of husband sends his wife out for construction material? Any more than I would send my hubby out for a certain shade of paint, or even his own clothes, LOL!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
PhylissH
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by PhylissH »

Yes it ia always fun to go to Lowes, Home Depot, or like places when all dressed up. It is not necessarily sexist for them to ask if they can help you. It depends on how they ask, after all part of their job is to help the customer. I have on occasion had them ask in what I felt like was a condescending tone but, mostly they just seem to be being polite.

And yes Davita is right. When I have asked about a product or about doing a job I definitely get a longer more detailed
conversation on how things work.
" I would rather die while I am living than live when I am dead"

Texas CD, Best of both worlds,
Hugs Phyliss
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Kim mentioned the click of heels in a store and yes they draw attention even from women. I know even I look up when I hear that unmistakable noise.
PhylissH wrote: And yes Davita is right. When I have asked about a product or about doing a job I definitely get a longer more detailed
conversation on how things work.
bla*bla*bla If you think you get a detailed description at Lowe's or Home Depot try the auto parts store. I stopped the other day for wipers for the Tahoe and I swear it was like he was going to go into the history of windshield wipers. I know what I want! Just show me where they are, let me find the correct size, let me pay for them and put them on! If I know I need new ones I don't need a damned lecture on how important they are!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

And hate it when they talk down to me. One time I wanted to look at staplers. I was looking in the tools area but was not finding them. Finally asked one of the many guys that were asking to help me where they were. They were like on the other side of the tools in with with other things.... Well the guy kept trying to sell me on the pink stapler. Yea you heard that right. Some whimpy pink thing that would not have lasted one job. I kept telling him I wanted more than that and was trying look at the other staplers. I finally got tired of not really what I wanted and asked where the air tools were. He took me to them and then left me alone. I bought an air stapler. :mrgreen:

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

What? No pink air staplers? LOL!

Eileen
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Dear God talk about Home Depot! I asked Kyle what he wanted for Christmas a few weeks back and he mentioned they had a deal of some cordless tools that used the same batteries his cordless drill used so I figured why not. I am sure he kind of figured I would get it for him still I stopped at a Home Depot on my way home from work to get it as a surprise. Yes I had on a dress and high heeled boots. I had the ad with me but couldn't find the set he had pointed out so I found someone who worked there and asked where it was. He said that wasn't really what I wanted and probably way overkill for me and tried to steer me to a "cute set" more my style, his words, and yes they were pink.

I was so disgusted I walked away but rather than leave I went to the service desk and asked to speak to the manager. When he showed up I showed him the set I wanted and told him his employee said they were overkill for me but I wanted this set. Yes I mentioned the employee by name. The manager showed me the set and I bought and thanked him for his help. Wonder if the manager said anything to the employee and what it was? I certainly hope he did.

Girls men will always treat us like garbage if we let them. Stand up and demand to be treated properly. Women in Home Depot are no different than the CD in a dress shop. Our money is just as green and we are there for a purpose. If we ask we don't expect a pile of crap, just service!

For the record Kyle loved the gift and no I didn't say anything about my adventure buying it.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Amen, Heather!

Especially at this time of year, did the HD guy think you were buying tools for yourself?

Eileen
Annie
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Annie »

Should it really matter if he did think she was buying them for herself? There are many women more handy than me....
Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are- Benjamin Franklin
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

So true, Annie. I guess my post should have been more clear. During the biggest gift giving season of the year, some dunce thinks Heather, even with the ad in her hand, must need pink tools because it's a woman thing. Never ever in history did a woman buy tools for her husband, father, brother, till Heather confused the poor lad. Possibly he's what we call 90 day wonders. Hired for the busy season of 90 days and we wonder how they still managed to get the job anyway.
I can't tell you how many times I've picked up some tool with no idea what it is until someone paints it pink. Lol!

Eileen
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Wow...I cannot imagine ...did go into Walmart Neighborhood market a couple times but in boring jeans and a top etc. Did self check out. Going into building supplies surrounded by many guy guy's especially here in the deep south...that would be really intimidating for me. But If I were kindly treated just as many women are by young strong men carting and loading your heavy dirty supplies for you I would just think gee how nice! I would take it.
Go with the flow
Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

Though the industry I work in is somewhat male dominated women are least respected as our numbers grow. However because of my area of expertise I have to interface on a very regular basis with industries that are highly male dominated which has led to many situations.

It was shortly after returning to work after my surgery I was at a customer's site and they were having a problem with a piece of equipment I was quite familiar with. The engineer I was visiting introduced me to the maintenance supervisor. He definitely gave me once as I was in a skirted suit and heels, remember this was 1992 or 93. The engineer assured him I knew my stuff so he reluctantly took me out to the attraction they were having issues.

I watched it cycle several times and I had a pretty good idea what was wrong having seen the same issue before so I told them what to check out. He talked with the maintenance guys and I could tell they were all pretty much rejecting my suggestion. I stood there for a while watching them try thing after thing with zero success, sometimes even making the issue worse which only reinforced in my mind I was correct in my assessment. Finally after an hour or so I left and grabbed some lunch before going back to talk with the engineer about what I was originally there to talk about.

It was maybe half an hour the maintenance supervisor popped in to say the attraction was back up and running fine. The engineer asked what was wrong. The maintenance supervisor reluctantly said what Lauren said it was. I admit I really had to fight the urge to say "Told you so." Nothing better than beating a macho man at his own game!
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt