Throwback Thursday

Tell us about the things you like to do, and what you do, when you go out en femme. All other topics will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Throwback Thursday

Post by Diana Michelle »

Wouldn't you know it? Here I'm finally feeling 100%, ready to go out and get into some mischief and it's snowing here! According to the local weather forecast we're supposed to get 4 to 8", If you live in a snow belt you understand how it can vary that much. I have seen times I have gotten 6" of snow, drive 10 miles in one direction and they got 2" but if you go 10 miles in the other direction they got a foot! It is very dependent on the exact wind direction and intensity.

At any rate having been in self isolation for the past week and a half I had a lot of time on my hands so I went through a lo of old photo albums and did a lot of reminiscing which got me to thinking. Yea I know a dangerous concept! #-o Yes I have some dark times in my life but I have had a lot more good ones as I am sure all of you have. In that vein I am declaring today Throwback Thursday! WTF is Throwback Thursday I am sure all of you are asking yourself right about now. It is a day to reminisce, tell a story from your past either good or bad, post a picture from your past, whatever you want.

I'm posting a picture from 2011 but there is the back story to it. My 2nd husband Jim was working for a company that decided to close the plant and move the work elsewhere and he ended up unemployed. Not going into the details as it is a long story but he eventually got a job at a company based in Traverse City, well technically Williamsburg and we ended up moving up there. We eventually bought the house here on the lake. We both loved the location however were not happy with the house as it was so we proceeded to undertake some very major renovations.

I am sure most of you have done some remodeling on your house at one time or another so you know the chaos that can create. We completely redid the house both upstairs and main floor even removing walls some which were load bearing which means structural changes. In addition we relocated the main staircase to the upstairs and added a second one. There were times I would get home from a week downstate and it would look like a bomb had gone off in my house. There were even a couple of times we get a hotel room for various reasons. Sometimes to escape the disaster out home had become, sometimes out of necessity as the water was going to be off for several days to redo plumbing. To say it was frustrating at times is very polite and more than once we would look at each other and ask "What the hell were you thinking?"

As with any major remodeling project it took a longer than the 4 to 5 months we were originally told, it was over 7 months from start to finish. There were also cost overruns some due to what was found when they started the job, some just underestimating material costs or hours necessary to accomplish the job. Finally came the Monday morning I was getting ready to head downstate for the week and the contractor promised me when I got home that Friday he and his guys would be gone and I would have my house back. To say I was leery is kind but I tried to stay hopeful. I had an easy day that Friday and was home by about 5:00 after a 3 1/2 hour drive. Jim met me on the porch with a bouquet of red roses and told me to close my eyes before he led me into the house. Yes it was finally done and the furniture all back in place!

After a tour of my own house we decided to go out for a celebratory dinner at a bar not far from the house he had heard about from a guy at work, that's a whole other story! As we were getting ready to leave Jim grabbed one of my cameras and snapped this picture of me. I have always loved the look of contentment I have here. I'm probably 15 lbs heavier here and not sure about the hair though.

OK there's my Throwback Thursday for this week, what's yours?
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Throwback Thursday

Post by Heather W »

Great story Diana and even a better picture. Then again I don't think you have ever had a bad picture taken of you unlike some of us. :roll: You definitely have a contented look about you in it. I'm not going to say anything about the weight and as for the hair? I never knew "natural blondes" had dark roots :whistle:
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

OK I'm game for Throwback Thursday. Took me a bit to find it but I did.

This picture was taken by Kyle with my phone on our first weekend getaway way back when we were dating. Not sure how but he somehow turned out on the black and white mode, I think it came out well. I do know Kyle loves it and he has an 8X10 of it on his desk at his office.
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

OK so it's not Thursday but I don't get here that often. Back in college I got talked into trying going blonde. It only lasted a couple of months because I never thought it looked good on me. Posting a pic from that era
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I remember your "Blonde Days" and never thought it was the look for you but we all have to try something new to see if it is us. I do also remember your mother was not awfully fond of the look.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I'm a little disappointed Throwback Thursday didn't catch on. You can't tell me there isn't an incident in your past you want to share with everyone here. It doesn't have to include a picture, it doesn't have to be TG related, it can be good or bad just something. Hell it doesn't have to be Thursday when you post it!

As I mentioned in my original post Jim and I headed out to a bar for fish and chips someone had told him about near us so here's the rest of the story. We got to the bar and there more than a couple of motorcycles in the parking lot but can't say it really registered with either of us. We grabbed a table and ordered a couple of beers and told the waitress we wanted the fish and chips. I did notice the waitress had more than a couple of tattoos on her arms. As she walked away I looked around and it hit me! Many had on leather vests with their colors, everyone was in jeans, black t-shirts, leather boots. OMG! It's a biker bar! Now keep in mind I am wearing what you saw in the picture and Jim had on a pair of khakis and a polo shirt so we definitely stood out.

I have nothing against motorcycles they just have never been my thing. I like to think of myself as a non judgmental, accepting person but to say a lot went through my mind is a huge understatement, none of it good. I had never had any interaction with bikers before but I guess the old stereotypes came to mind so I can't say I was nervous but definitely a bit uncomfortable. Nothing really transpired and the food was excellent and quite reasonably priced, even the beer. When the bartender handed Jim back the change she smiled and said, "Come again."

We got to the car and both of us busted up in laughter. Jim laughed," Well that was definitely a first for me!" "Me too," I laughed back. We talked and laughed about it that evening both remarking not sure who was more surprised, us walking into a biker bar or them seeing a couple of preppy dressed civilians walk in.

For the record we did go back the following Saturday night for a burger and a beer though we were both wearing jeans and t-shirts. This time the place was more crowded so we just grabbed seats at the bar. The bartender who we later learned was the owner's wife told us she was surprised to see us again and that we weren't too scared to come back. "If you were trying to scare me away you have to better than you did before," I told her which made her laugh.

I have been back there dozens of times over the years with Jim, alone, and later with Rick and others. I have gone in wearing everything from jeans to a skirted suit and heels, even maybe once or twice wearing a leather skirt and boots. I have taken many there including my grandchildren and always felt comfortable and like I belong there. I consider more than a few of the regulars and the owner friends. When Jim died every one of them came to the funeral home, some even to the funeral to pay their respects and each told me very sincerely if I needed anything just ask. A few times someone has gotten out of hand with something about me and Stryker the owner is the first one in their face telling them, "You don't mess with Diana unless you want me to mess with you." Once when I was there I was talking with Christine, the owner's wife telling her about how we were collecting money to buy school supplies for less fortunate kids. She went to the register took $50 from the register and handed it to me. She then took a beer pitcher around the bar collecting donations and I don't think I saw anyone put in less than $10, many more.

Moral to the story, never judge a book by its cover!

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I'm going to keep posting Throwback Thursday things until at least a few others do. I will admit I am a bit surprised none of you have any experiences from your past that make you smile, laugh, frown, even groan that you would be willing to share.

Not to brag but I have always been told I don't look my age. Been that way even before I was Diana but even more after. As I am sure most of you know my first husband Frank was 13 years older than me. Not that he looked old but his temples were graying and his hairline slightly receded. Don't get me wrong here I found it sexy but there was more than once we would be out together I am sure probably even both under someone's breath.

Frank and I had been married two, maybe three years and the hospital administrator retired. It was several weeks later the new one was announced. It was someone from the outside that no one knew other than by reputation. A cocktail party was set up so the upper level people could get to know him and he them. Frank being chief orthopedic surgeon was one of those invited and it was for husbands and wives. I was getting ready to go and the phone rang. It was Frank telling me he was running late and he would meet me there. Definitely didn't made me happy but this was not the first time something liked happened nor would be the last so off I went.

There was kind of an informal receiving line when I got there so I introduced myself as Diana Capelli and it was "Nice to meet you" and off I went as there were a few behind me. Frank got there maybe half an hour and the receiving line had disappeared so after getting himself a drink he sought out his new boss to introduce himself with me in tow.

"I'm Frank Capelli, chief orthopedic surgeon."

"I've heard about you, we should get together as my speciality before going into administration was orthopedics."

"I'd like that," Frank smiled before turning to me, "And this is ..."

"I've already met your daughter, Diana isn't it?"

Frank and I just stared at each other for a few seconds. Not sure which of us bust out laughing first and after a few seconds Frank said, "Diana is my wife not my daughter."

"OOPS!" :oops:

Harry's face turned Ferrari red. We all joked about it over the years but it was definitely an awkward moment when it happened.

Lauren
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lauren »

All cute stories Diana. Not sure this qualifies but I'll put it out here anyway. Hadn't really thought about it for years but it all got started when I mentioned to someone at work what's for lunch? He reminded me what today was thus Taco Tuesday. He then laughed either that or "***** Tuesday." The stars are a slang term for a woman's breasts.

I was 30 when I started my transition complete with HRT. In some ways the hormones worked their magic early on softening my skin, giving me at least the appearance of hips, even adding to my booty however much to my dismay not a lot up top. My areoles got puffy and itched constantly however not much development. I would stare in the mirror every morning and honestly was starting to think of breast enhancement. Then one day it was hot and I knew I was going to be in the shop so I just pulled on some jeans and a polo shirt. I was ready to go out the door but took a last look in the mirror. I had breasts and some very prominent "headlights!"

I called off that day and changed into a skirt and blouse, putting on one of those lacy, sexy but very non supportive bras, think more like a bralette today and headed to the mall. I told the clerk I needed to be fitted for a bra as I had lost some weight and none of my bras fit right. I felt so girly as I stood there first with my bra on the naked from the waist up as she measured me, then pronounced me a perfect 34A. I had to fight the tears back as she went to get a few styles for me to try.
Some people are going to leave a mark on this world, while others are going to leave a stain
Eleanor Roosevelt
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I remember that first time getting for a bra because I actually needed it, sweet memories
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Throwback Thursday!

Was going through some old pictures and came across this one which I posted in the gallery. It was taken shortly after I began my transition so say January 2016, maybe February. After getting past "My God Heather! How could you wear that?" ..OO.. I took a better look at the picture. Not that I'm beautiful by a long shot I think I have come a long way in 7 1/2 years. I have a far better understanding how to use cosmetics to minimize my flaws, definitely found a more attractive hairstyle, and have a far better fashion sense IMO.

What do you girls think?
Martin Luther Ling Jr
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Heather the picture is not as bad as you make it out to be. But the scarf, what were you thinking.... at least the color. 8)

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Yeah IKR
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Seeing as we're posting old pictures I'm going to throw this one out just to show all of you I wasn't always an old lady. It was taken at Frank's 30th high school reunion so I'm 35 here. I remember theevent and the dress which Frank had picked out for me.