Shopping When Dressed.

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Shopping When Dressed.

Post by Martha G »

I have gone out a few times dressed and have been accepted as a woman.

I would like some tips on shopping for clothing at retail stores.

I would probably feel better if I went with another "sister".

Would it be best to go to a store that just sells women's clothes?

Let me know your experiences.
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Shopping When Dressed.

Post by Davita »

Hi Martha, I am kind of puzzled why you think shopping in a Woman's clothing store would be so much different from shopping in a woman's dept of a dept store. Humm... Did I answer your question? I find shopping is shopping. Now what might be different between the two environments is the quality of knowledge you find between the stores, but a good store will have good sales people no matter what.

As for having a shopping partner? Oh heck girl, shopping for anything is always more fun and better with a partner who's taste you trust.
{squeezes}
Davita
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

My experience has been:

Act like a serious shopper
Be a serious shopper
Be treated like a serious shopper

It may make it easier if you go into a full service woman's store. They will most like greet you within a minute or two of entering the store and ask you if you need help. You can ask for help then, or just just looking around and pick out a few things you like and start carrying them around. They will most likely then come back around and want to start a room for you. Accept and keep shopping or ask for help if you are not finding what you are looking for. My experience is the good sales gals want to help you. And if they make you, they can be even more helpful. And I need all of the help I can get.

Do not forget to relax and enjoy yourself. Shopping should be a fun experience.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

I'm quite happy where ever I go and the shop is of little difference , wether its the car or truck garage or spare parts, builders surplys or spark,e shop,

Now whats the difference for a clothes shop male,s included so then clothes shop,s for women, what about 2 nd hand, or a fitting shop okay may be different for that of cause though not in my case women only = okay female s,

Now I used to go in to any shops in this case for Jos and get clothes for her and do returns , Jos allways got me to do that detail , so this is over many years some 35 , now remember I did wear male clothes for a few years ,

and my point is I was known by many 100,s of people in many shops so how I was dressed was not an issue , 10 years ago I started telling others about my birth and why I was a little different , that in its self made the difference of they began to understand a lot about my self as a person and that brought a repore that we have had over the years and we just talk quite normaly about what ever comes up just life in general, so it comes down to as I see it open up with people share your life be open its an other great way to have friends ,

maybe I'm just one kid who has nothing to hide so being open has been the way I do it .

May be being a dresser could be different I don't know that answer and had I been would I be as open as I am , I know a few people have commented as to was or am I a dresser, I have tried to see this from your side of things , = = = maybe I don't.

Any way,s at least I can carry on a converstion with people even if it,s very different in some way,s ,

happy shopping .

...noeleena...
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Shopping with a gal pal is always more fun! If that can't be done, shopping is also fun. You may be less nervous in a women's clothing store as there tends to be less children and men. Remember that the SA's want to make your experience a happy one.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

Don't know any sisters. Possibly an understanding GF
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

What you need to do, Martha, is start a bridge club or attend a ladies senior meeting. :wink:
Not quite a serious reply, but you never know who may take an interest in being your gal pal. If we lived close by, I would. :yes:

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Martha G wrote:Would it be best to go to a store that just sells women's clothes?
Great question, Martha! Nice to see all the responses to your question as this is something I've often wondered myself for that time when I feel that I am finally ready to venture out while dressed...
KimberlyS wrote: Act like a serious shopper
Be a serious shopper
Be treated like a serious shopper

Eileen (SO) wrote:Remember that the SA's want to make your experience a happy one.
Kimberly and Eileen both make very good points, plus I know that in certain shops, the SA's make commission on top of their regular wages, so it would definitely be in their best interest to be helpful and to try to make that sale. I don't think you'll get the same kind of service in a big department store as you would in a smaller shop - but of course, this is all speculation on my part! :)

Oh... and even though I've never been out shopping with anyone, it's always better to go out with a friend - no need for speculation about that!!! Have fun shopping, Martha!!! :)
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

Thank you Lexi! :)

Oh my!
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I have been dressing and shopping and going to lunch for about 15 yrs
I am 73.. I have never had a problem shopping as a woman and I am
6'3.. I wear flats. You look good in the picture and should not have a problem.
An easy place to go is Dress Barn (CD friendly) Marshalls as a first visit.
I have always gone to the Bali. Maidenform Soma and Jockey shops
for my bras and underwear. I don't buy anything I don't try on.
Good luck
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

Thanks for the advise Janet.

I would need to try things on too!

Sounds exciting!
Ashleykal
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Ashleykal »

Martha
I love going shopping whilst dressed, which is strange since I hate it as a man. Be passable and act with confidence. Don't worry about the women arround you, carry yourself as if you have every right to look and try on the clothes. I mostly use the department stores as they generally don't bother you (Macy's does), the only real trouble I have is how the clothes are organized by designer not what they are. You should try on the clothes, the sizes seem to change by designer and shop. When I first went to shops I looked on line first so I had a good idea what I was interested in. Actually I have another problem, I go to browse and end up buying.
Good luck it it great fun
Ashley
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

I too hate shopping as a man.

But I just love to shop when dressed as a woman.

Oh my!
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

Unfortunately I do not have the courage nor confidence that you all display so I do all my shopping in male drab.

One day things may change.
Requal
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

Oh heck Martha, just go and do it!! :lol:

It is a lot more fun when you have somebody to go with, that's for sure. But even going by yourself is a lot more fun than sitting at home and thinking about it.

As far as good stores, I'd say go to the one that has the styles of clothes you like. I really like Talbots, but there isn't one close to me so I end up shopping at JC Penny, Kohls, and Dress Barn. I've not had any trouble at most places; I think in all these years there have been only 3 times when someone made a fuss. But just find a store in your area with the styles you like and then go shopping like you mean it!