How to respond...

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

How to respond...

Post by Anne Bonny »

Try this out...There's one of us every 25 square miles...I'm it for this area...
Go with the flow
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: How to respond...

Post by Sarah Beth »

In my part of the world there are areas larger than that where no one lives so you all who live in the urban areas must be making up for that. So I have to say that I am in all likely hood the one for here.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

I thought of that and made myself laugh...I don't know...struck me personally. Yeah tell them to take a good look they might not see another for a while Ha!
Go with the flow
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Darn! Since I definitely take claim to this "CD section", I will have to ask my friend JoAnn to move! She lives less than 1 mile away... :mrgreen:
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Oh, there's a lot more than surveys tell! Who would answer such a question honestly anyway? Just within 15 miles, hubby has at least 30 sisters. Who knows how many more.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Well...It is not serious of course...I was thinking if you spaced us out equally across the land I figured...hum...every 25 square miles? Don't forget in the fly over country this may quite literally be much more than true...in a large city....nope they are all clustered together. Around here that would probably be New Orleans... I am glad that so many must be feeling more comfortable and are out there being their selves. I have been jogging in a full woman's kit, and last evening went for my walk in the same way. Granted the jogging clothes are still a Sport bra under my lady's T...and for my walk it was foggy and at dusk in this part of the country Jeans running shoes and a polo with jewelry and make up.... is how many gals down here choose to dress it is somewhat cool, in the summer ditch the jeans and replace that with shorts. I am still not brave enough to wear something like a regular top or leggings under a long flowing top, or to run wearing only a sport bra on top especially because not having the effects of estrogen, and surgery...well...Oh well.
Go with the flow
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

Anne Bonny wrote:Try this out...There's one of us every 25 square miles...I'm it for this area...
Interesting observation and response. The truth is no one truly knows how large or small the transgendered community is. I have seen studies putting anywhere from 2 to 5% of the population although there have been estimates that it may be as large as 10%, Where I go to school I would surmise that there are a lot more than one every 25 square miles and it maybe the exact reverse. However if you go to where I grew up and my mother still lives I am sure the number is a lot closer to the one in 25.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Yeah...I was walking...or could have been on my run and the thought made me laugh...yeah at my own joke! HAHA! Oh well...
Go with the flow
Wesley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Wesley »

Amanda R wrote:Interesting observation and response. The truth is no one truly knows how large or small the transgendered community is. I have seen studies putting anywhere from 2 to 5% of the population although there have been estimates that it may be as large as 10%, . . .
Amanda, I would submit that part of the problem is that most of the community (whatever definition one chooses) does not know what "We" collectively or individually are. I say this based on other posts I have made regarding my attempt to form a "crossdresser" support group in my area.

20 years ago, there was a vibrant heterosexual crossdresser group. Gone today, and by my examination there is a vibrant "Transgender" group. Granted, definitions change as do perceptions over time, but I see many posts which indicate the poster(s) are unsure themselves where they lie on the continuum.

Lastly, I totally agree, the numbers per population are anyone's guess, especially with rapidly changing definitions. If you consider Transgender, it seems to cover any and everyone who is not by their own definition, totally and conventionally heterosexual. Try narrowing it down to "Crossdressing" and what does that mean?

I have considered myself a crossdresser since my mid 20's. (Before that, I accepted the term transvestite, but dropped it when I found a "crossdressing" group. I now find "Transvestite" repugnant.) I still consider myself a crossdresser. . .

Am I the exception or the rule?
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Wesley based on my experience with support groups as well as other research I have done into the TG community the "crossdresser" is by far the largest group. The issue I get from your post is you do not want to be considered part of the whole community but rather just that part which you identify yourself as. The problem is we are such a small minority in the general population, particularly when you subtract the closeted individuals, to subdivide ourselves lessens our chances of making advances towards acceptance.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Wesley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Wesley »

Diana Michelle wrote: The issue I get from your post is you do not want to be considered part of the whole community but rather just that part which you identify yourself as. The problem is we are such a small minority in the general population, particularly when you subtract the closeted individuals, to subdivide ourselves lessens our chances of making advances towards acceptance.
I crossdress for myself first and then seek to interface with others of simular interests and needs.

The problem I have identifying with the Transgender segment, is that I get tired of defending my crossdressing from those who insist that transgender is synonymous with crossdressing. It is NOT. Locally, I see the "transgender community" totally usurping the crossdressing community. My self definition has not changed, the community terminology has. It seems that if I am not "Transgender," I don't count. Consider, this is still "Crossdressers-haven" not "Transgender-haven." (1)

Such opinions are regarding a rigid definition are not helpful.

-Whatever my position is, it is as worthy of respect as someone who identifies as MTF, FTM or any other degree of expression.

(1) I was curious to see when the earliest use of the word "Transgender" appeared on the site. If I queued the question correctly it was Sept 11, 2003, by a user named Danielle La Belle. The post quoted material from TG World, and may be viewed here:

http://crossdressers-haven.com/forums/v ... ender#p811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting look back. The evolution of terms is interesting to say the least.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Wesley wrote:
I crossdress for myself first
Wesley this one statement is perhaps the most profound one you have made. Every CD regardless of any other any difference does this first. The same goes for the TG community. We go through the rejection, the snickers behind our backs, the opening ourselves to potential public humiliation and discrimination for ourselves. We do not do it for anyone else, we do it because it is right to us, same as your crossdressing is to you.

I have been involved in the TG community through several support groups over the years in several different locations. Most are by their very nature more the heterosexual crossdresser than any other group. Even those where there have been a higher number of true TG's I have never witnessed or even sensed any animosity or even "looking down" on the heterosexual crossdresser by any TG regardless of where they were in their journey. If you have experienced this in a group I do apologize for that however make sure that what you are experiencing is true discrimination and not just a case of latent jealousy. If memory serves me correctly you stated in a post on another topic you wondered what was like to be female or what is was to have breasts and had even though about breast augmentation.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

I wonder what the stats would say for Australia? May have to some serious exploring.
Requal
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

I live within 15 miles of the Tiffany Cub of New England, so its probably more like 25 of us per sq mile. Also with 15 miles of their annual "First Event" convention, so, once a year, it's probably like, a gazillion. ..rofl..
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.