Very low Testosterone

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Very low Testosterone

Post by Estefania »

In the past I have had my T levels checked and they have always been lower than the average. I got my latest results yesterday. "Normal" levels of T on adult males go from 300/890 ng/dL. My "T" count is 336, which ranks in the range of a healthy 85-100 years old male. My free T is not so bad, gets me in the 75-85 yo range. I'm 50 yo by the way. Yet, the only comments from the doctor's office were "your results are within normal". I guess it is time to find a new physician. Or just let nature follow it's own course and see what happens. :mrgreen:

In reality, it is kind of puzzling. Not doing anything may mean that my body may be more receptive of any female hormones or pseudo hormones (phytoestrogens present in all kinds of foods) since they don't have to "fight" against my own T. While going for TRT has the possible side effect of causing... gynecomastia. Ha!

Anyway, sorry for the short rant. I guess that I may go visit an Endo to get a second opinion.

Gaby
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Very low Testosterone

Post by Anthony Simon »

He might have been referring to the level compared to a previous one - the % drop being normal (??). If you have always had low Testosterone, he would have used that as a base (which would diminish with age), rather than use the average for a male of your age as a base.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

When my results come in, the piece of paper gives the range, the result and marks it L, N or H.

Thus what may be in the lowest part of the range, it is still in the normal range.

Mine came in low a number of years back, and the prescribed androgel did nothing to bring it up higher.
DonnaT
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

I've never had mine checked, but I'm bald so they must have been high at least at one point. :mrgreen:
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Gina L.
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Gina L. »

I was on Tgel for several years and it just about kept my T levels above the lower limit. It caused a lot of side effects including anger and high blood pressure, so I eventually gave up using it.
Initially my T levels dropped well below the lower limit, but my last blood check showed that it is now higher than it has been for 8 years.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

I remember having to administer monthly injections of testosterone which because it looked like and had the consistency of Karo Syrup required a larger bore needle to the gluteal area. I am not sure I would like to have to come in every month for the big eye opener...well you always use a fresh needle so it is sharp and with technique it was not too bad but pushing the thick testosterone through the needle required a slightly larger bore than normal.

That is all I remember and I would not care at all if my testosterone dropped off to nil levels...I have had two sons...so I am done.

Yes go get a second opinion from an endocrinologist...does not sound as if your provider was very concerned about you personally just the process of moving his quota of patients for the day through. Some are like that... find a new provider.
Go with the flow
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Fact of the matter is that I will not be pursuing any type of hormonal replacement therapy. Having to take monthly (painful as Anne stated) and somehow expensive shots or rubbing gels which may end up not doing nothing or providing very limited improvements is not very appealing.

If the low T ever contributes to some weight re-distribution, I just hope the fat can go and find a new home in my hips/butt!! :mrgreen:

Thank you all for your replies.

Gaby (--)