Changing Names

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Changing Names

Post by Emily »

Its something that's been on my mind for the past few days and I'm not sure if this question has ever been asked before, but does anyone else sometimes feel their chosen femme name has lost its meaning or significance?

In a way, I feel that for me, it has. :( I used to love the name LEXI! At one point, I felt that it was the perfect name and that it really suited me. Now, I'm not so sure... I don't hate the name, I still quite like it, but it just doesn't seem to have as much meaning to me as it once did. I can't really explain why. I suppose a name, while in and of itself is an intangible thing, it is a representation of who we are and another form of expression.

Reading the rules, I see that it is possible to change our username as long as the proper steps are followed... I'm not saying that this is something I'm going to do, but it has crossed my mind. Problem is: what would I change it to? What name would suit me better? What if I wanted to change it again or wanted my old name back!?!? :huh:

I guess I really am just curious if there are any other ladies here that have had similar thoughts... :-k

I feel that over the past year, I have learned a lot about my self and about my fem side. As I am discovering more about this side of me, I am learning that maybe I'm not Lexi anymore, but somebody else? Hmmmm... Questions... questions... questions... :sigh:
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Changing Names

Post by Stephanie M »

What name are you thinking of?
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

Personally speaking I have no wish to change my name. For a number of reasons I like Michelle, it has a nice tone to it and my dad once said if I had been born a girl my name would have been Michelle. When I acknowledged my feminine side and let her out the logical choice was to call her Michelle.

I guess we're lucky in one respect that we as adults can choose our name and no be saddled with what our parents(or in my case grand parents) liked.

Take for instance a girl in my class in senior school. She was born on Christmas eve and was named Holly Ivy Barnett. Yeah her parents went full festive on her for sure, still could have been worse. :)

So Lexi to echo what Stephanie said, what name are you considering?
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

Hi Michelle at least if you had been a girl you would have had a cool name. My mom wanted to name me Petunia if I had been a girl. :mrgreen:
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Debbie Jean
Account Deactivated at Member's Request

Post by Debbie Jean »

In the area where we lived, "back in the day" it was customary that the dad would pick out a male name and the mom would pick out a female name. The technology wasn't too reliable back then for pre-determining gender of the unborn. Dad picked Allen, Mom picked Zoanne. For that reason, and only that reason I'm glad I was born male. I gave myself my female name Deb simply in honor of the first girl that I had a CDing experience with, after reaching puberty. Of course I had many pre-puberty experiences, but they just didn't count anymore once "Deb" came along. So no I don't want to change my name, we can't re-write history (not that I'd want to).

hugs,
Deb
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Lexi (so far),

When I first found the net and found people to talk to, I would see girls changing names as often as they changed their outfits. "I feel like xyz today" or "I just didn't feel like a "zyx". I took a long time to figure out who I was going to be and have never changed. It took even longer to decide on my middle name and again, I haven't changed it.

Most of the entire world never got to pick their own names, but whoever did it for them certainly spent a long time deciding. Sooooo it's only natural that it will take time and possibly a few tries to decide who you will be.

Along the way, there are dozens of sites that give you name meanings. Most are all about such things as, "'David' means beloved in Hebrew" but if you hunt, there are some sites that go deep into the psychology of a name; they relate name to personality at an "inner person" level. You need to decide why the name is important to you. What is the name for? Is it to define you, or to describe you, or is it to honor someone or simply identify you?

My name describes me at that inner level. It's not just a female version of "David" that means beloved.
{squeezes}
Davita
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Michelle Diane wrote:So Lexi to echo what Stephanie said, what name are you considering?
I am not sure just yet... but I want it to be something that feels "natural", if that makes any sense?

A quick background story... last October, while en femme, I met a neighbour of mine. It was the first time I've had to introduce myself en femme, and while I knew that I should say "Lexi", I just couldn't... I made the BIG mistake of saying my real name and I think it was from that point where I started to question if Lexi was the right name for me. But it was just a distant thought in the back of my mind... Not anymore... I really feel that I need something that will come naturally if I am ever in a similar type of situation (which I expect to be).

BTW, Michelle... I too like the name very much! It just happens to be my sister's name too. :)

I think I had asked my mom a long time ago what my name was had I been born a girl... but I honestly can't remember! :lol:
Davita wrote:When I first found the net and found people to talk to, I would see girls changing names as often as they changed their outfits.
Yeah... I know what you mean! Something I definitely want to avoid! Bad enough to change it once... even worse to do it all the time! But, an interesting point...
Davita wrote:it's only natural that it will take time and possibly a few tries to decide who you will be.
Every day is another of self discovery. I've adopted the name Lexi for quite a few years... and it worked for the time being. Previous to Lexi. I was going by the name "Myst". That was back in my goth days, so it was fitting at the time - definitely not fitting anymore - unless of course I decide to go goth again! :P
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

There is a whole psychology to names today. Parents struggle, debate, and even argue over what to name children trying for that little extra special edge for their children. When I cam out to my mother I was just 15 and we talked about what she would have named me had I been born genetically a girl. She laughed and said Brianne but now that was an issue as I have two cousins named that, one on each side of the family. I am not sure where we came up with Amanda but as soon as she mentioned I said yes! She said her plans were to give me the middle name of Rachel so I became Amanda Rachel. Granted it was 2 years from that I became that legally but U have never thought twice about it.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

Lexi, first "problem" is easily solved. Just shoot a PM to Silver Lady and ask her if it would be ok to change/change back name.

Now, isn't it great that you have the chance to pick and choose your own name as an adult? Maybe you can consider that so far, you were trying on "Lexi" as your name but somehow it doesn't fit well anymore, so... if you have one that you like better, go for it! :)

(--)
Gaby
Nicole Rose
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Nicole Rose »

Hi Lexi, there have been lots of girls here changing their names, fully or teaking them, just pm silverlady, I'm sure she will let you change your name. Not un common for us to want a change as we change ourselves, so go for it lexi, if that is what you want, now let me think what name suits you, someone pretty, smart, sincere, honest ,trust worthy, funny, and adorable!!!! Does the new name start with E, just a quess, good name hunting dear, tc Nicole, I would change my name but most call me way worse names than Nicole lol, oh well tc lexi :P (--)
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

I think I just might send that PM...
Nicole Rose wrote:now let me think what name suits you, someone pretty, smart, sincere, honest ,trust worthy, funny, and adorable!!!! Does the new name start with E
Going with this description, I'd say it would have to start with "N", but Nicole's already been taken! :P Thank you though! :blush: And if anyone calls you worse, well then... they just don't know you, girl! :no:

Good guess though!

I had thought a long time... a whole bunch of names had come to mind. I even considered the female version of my male name (Mark). But, what I got was Marcia (don't like it), Marcella (I worked with a Marcella once, she was an awesome lady, but just doesn't work for me). I had even considered Markie, but I was teased with this name when I was a kid. Marcie? Nope, don't like it either. So out with that idea, LOL!

But I think I am seriously considering going with Emma... I often use my first initial (M) anyways... so just add on "ma". M-ma... Emma... Feels natural, sounds nice... and I really like it. I think it suits me too! I definitely know now that I just don't feel connected to Lexi anymore, but Emma...? Hmmmm? I like it, though I'm left a little perplexed as to why I hadn't thought of it sooner.

Good to know that I am not the only one here who has thought about changing her name.
Nicole Rose
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Nicole Rose »

awe welcome Emma, what a nice name for a wonderful woman!!! There will always be a little lexi in you Emma, well a lot lol, looking forward to chatting with the new girl in town, I bet your as cute as emma stone the actress, tc Emma, I really like your choice!!!!! ``5
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Nicole Rose wrote:awe welcome Emma, what a nice name for a wonderful woman!!! There will always be a little lexi in you Emma
Aww... thanks, Nicole! I appreciate the compliment very much! :mrgreen: True, there will always be a little Lexi... but I am excited about the name change. \:D/

And with that, I'd like to thank SilverLady for accommodating my request. Thank you, SilverLady! ^@^

I guess you could say I'm the crossdresser formerly known as Lexi! :mrgreen: LOL!

Emma it is from now on!

And no... not cute like Emma Stone, Nicole... but thanks! ^^_|| I feel pretty inside though! Does that count? :P
Nicole Rose
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Nicole Rose »

Ty Emma, what a pretty name Emma, looking forward to meeting Emma in her posts and in the chatroom, lexi was a nice girl but I kinda think Emma is going to be just as sweet!!!! I'ts kinda ironic how a change in name can make you feel different, but it does, I'm thinking of changing mine to Gertrude or Gretel, tell me what you think ^^_|| maybey Agness, have to think about it!!! Kidding aside I really like Emma (--)
Emily
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Emily »

Nicole Rose wrote:I'm thinking of changing mine to Gertrude or Gretel, tell me what you think ^^_|| maybey Agness, have to think about it!!! Kidding aside I really like Emma (--)
Thank you, silly girl! :P