Growing my own hair out...

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: Growing my own hair out...

Post by Penelope Carol »

For the past year I've been growing my hair out too. I used to have it shaved right back once a month so I now have about a year's growth from almost nothing!
I'm still using wigs. My natural hair is not yet long enough to have a fringe but it's beginning to cover my ears. I've visited hair salons twice so far to keep it neat. I'm thinking of getting some hair spray and would like to know how effective is it at holding hair in place?
Penny
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

Hi Penny,

Hair spray, in my opinion, is an absolute must. There's plenty to choose from and I'm sure everyone has their particular favourite. At the moment I'm liking Tresemmé hair spray extra hold. It keeps my hair in place but still allows for movement also it brushes out easily at the end of the day. I can only imagine the tangled mess i'd have on a breezy day without some hairspray to keep my hair in check.
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

Thanks Michelle. I think it will be some time before I feel able to ditch the wigs but I'll try out some hair spray. If I find it works well it will help my confidence when that time comes.
Penny
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but a couple months ago I got my wife to trim my hear (blunt cut). It is now almost 1/2 way from my chin to my boobs. Even in a ponytail, I love the feeling of the hair on my back. I wish I had more low-cut blouses/dresses.

I discovered ponytail holders designed for fine hair, and I bought a few dozen (one package). They do a lot less damage and they hold a lot better. Still, I fear that if I ever want waist length hair, I'll have to stop putting it in a ponytail, which will draw unwanted attention when in drab.

Then too, there's more and more grey every month. I've considered hair color... but I can only imagine the mess, and I don't know how and I fear the odor would make me suicidal.

Hugs,

Bernice
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

Today, my hair is still growing. I worry about being at or near terminal length (that's a real thing). The very longest strands are about three inches past my nipples... but a ponytail at my nipples would be less than a quarter of an inch in diameter. I guess a trim is in order.

On very rare occasions someone mentions my hair, and I reply: "it's just hair". Nobody has said anything about being clean-shaven with long hair. Good.

I've learned how to shampoo it and how to use creme rinse, and I love it. I've learned how to put my BiPap machine on without losing lots of hair. I think all those years my wife complained about how much work it is to have long hair were perhaps a little bit exaggerated. I've got some grey now, but that mostly makes it look authentic. I wish I didn't have a receding hairline, but a drug that both my wife and I take is known to cause hair loss. I'd still love to have bangs, but this I can live with. I found hair rings that are especially for extra fine hair. My wife prefers that I keep it pulled back, but if she's not around, I let it all hang down.

Hugs,

Bernice
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've been taking the biotin pills for a while and I do believe it makes my hair and nails stronger. Which means less easy to break, so after a while (as in 1 year) there starts to be a difference in thickness. Or I could be just imagining it.

I've been growing my hair out for like 3 years now, and while the longest strands get long pretty soon, it is thin and ugly. Then you have to trim those back and let all the others get out there too.

You'll not like this suggestion, it will be expensive, but find a really good hair stylist and do what she tells you. I will very highly recommend Macy, she does Miss America's hair (well, when Cara Mund was Miss America) but North Dakota might be a bit of a trek to get your hair done. Probably the one you have already is really good and you just need to do what she says. But it will totally be worth it.

It's really exciting that you're growing out your hair! Good for you!!! I know it's frustrating that it's not always as sexy as you want it to be - boy do I know that! - but I know you're going to love it anyway. It sounds like you've had plenty of experience with long hair already. The difference between being young and everything being easy, and being my age, is the price tag for the final result. I hate the universe, but I do love my hair now. The thing is, if you're going to spend so much, you need to have a stylist that makes it worth the cost. That's my opinion.

In other interesting news - SCRUNCHIES ARE BACK!!!!
It was such an '80s thing, but young people are actually using them now. My youngest daughter (16) who is the epitome of cuteness, uses them and, more importantly, doesn't think I'm ridiculous for using them.
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

Michelle Diane wrote:
> [quote="Bernice"]
> LOL!! oh Bernice I feel your pain. Even when back in a ponytail and
> hairspray to keep the rest in check somehow some way stray hairs always get
> behind my glasses. If you come up with a solution patent it, you'll be
> rich.
> [/quote]

At least one person found a way to absolutely stop her hair from moving, but perhaps it worked too well. https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/goril ... index.html

Hugs,

Bernice
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

OUCH!!!! :shock:

That would be horrible. I wonder that she went to the hospital to have it removed though, I'd think a good salon would have been better. I'd be worried that the medical people would just shave it off; whereas a good salon would know all about using acetone to soak off stuff like that, it's basically like removing gel polish right?