emotional

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Eris Lunara
Miss Crystal Goddess

emotional

Post by Eris Lunara »

I was reading a comment here which said, in keeping with many stereotypes in American society (can't speak for others) that women are more emotional than men.

I thought of a comment made by a neighbor, who has three teenage sons. She said that in her experience, that boys, and this included boys in their teens, are far more emotional than girls.

I don't know about that, but in my opinion teenage boys are at least as emotional as teenage girls. It just gets expressed differently. Certainly teenage boys get their hearts broken just as much as girls, in my opinion.

Thoughts?
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: emotional

Post by KimberlyS »

Interesting comment by your neighbor. I would be interesting to know if there is data to back her. Or it could also be her perspective. But can also show how different people are.

Kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi.

Depends on what is going on for a female to express her emotion and depends on in what field we have been trained so i can only speak as a female and what i,m like .

This concern,s myself in regard to not being able to have my own child or children this is the most hardest issue i have faced, am i Emotional about it ...OH....YES....when i,m talking to other,s and this subject come,s up I have to work through it i,ll turn away from facing the other,s my whole body goes into a shut down and i cant talk about it any more, there are other issues i have had to face .

We dont all show our selfs fully because we are all different , so when i have given public address.si try and keep away from any thing that will set me off not allways can i do that as i have been asked ?,s
and so with my training in the Millitary i was disciplined very well so when i know i,m heading down this emotional path i go straight back to my training , the other detail is in training to be a para medic what happens on the front line i used my discipline no matter what i saw or see, at home after i can reflect and crash ,

I know i have said i,m tough and have had to be yet underneath no i,m not that tough i can crash i know my limit,s as a female yes i,m very emotional.

Yes i know men do hide their emoitions some any way yet i know some really tough he man type bigger than i oh yes tough as nail,s and yet next to me when blood is pulled or the sight of a needle they crashed to the floor , so my point would be who is the tough one there, 2 guys when down and couple of other,s when white as ....
This of cause had to do with us being trained for a plane crash and we had to be able to act as a para medic i quess act is not quite right more of put the training into action , you see how detail,s can effect us and our emoition,s quite differently. Life expreance at the front line,

I know being more emoitional is more a part of us because of our hormones part of what makes us how we are,

After thinking some more there is one other detail for me thats importaint and yes i express my self and emotion in Music as i was trained as a side drummer for the NZ Navy i put every thing into that my whole body and i love my music we do express our selfs so much in our Music for me is so lovely .

I,m a percussionist for our youth Orchestra,

...noeleena...
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

one can't lump all boys together, same for girls

and some who don't seem to their emotional side, could change as they age

too many variables, too many different characteristics
DonnaT
Estefania
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Estefania »

It would depend a lot on their environment. If in their household they are not made fun or worse, ridiculed for being able to show their emotions, and they grew up like that, sure, it will be easy for them to react according to their feelings, unlike those kids growing up on a repressive "boys don't cry" kind of environment.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

yes. Teenage boys are indeed emotional with all of their hormones driving them during their teens. I believe men and women are equally emotional but we express it in different ways. Look at all the artists and poets and authors and musicians and singers.....all very expressive arts! Men have the expression of emotion beaten out of them....that is all.
Go with the flow
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

Because of stereotypes males are taught men don't cry and TBH I never really did until starting HRT, then I could cry at a cute puppy picture.

Many know I was very recently married. Kyle and i have been together over 3 years and while I had seen him express emotions many times never did I ever see him shed a tear. That is until September 12th. As I looked into his eyes and recited the vows I had written I saw more than one tear stream down his cheek. Several says later I asked him about it and he said it just happened but it felt good. Men can and do show emotions just some differently than others.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Annie
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Annie »

This sounds like the "Nature v. Nurture" argument. I believe it does have a lot to do with the environment that a person is raised in and the person themselves
Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are- Benjamin Franklin
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

The problem I see with statements like "girls are more emotional" is that there is no good and agreed upon meaning to the phrase "more emotional." Almost always that is meant to mean "less rational" which also means less smart, less good, less useful, etc. So it's predicated on a false basis, it's pretending to be a statement about some fundamental characteristic of human behavior when in fact it is the opening argument to justify all the discrimination that is going to happen next.

So aside from it being a dangerous and meaningless phrase, what emotions are included in the measurement? Anger? There is some interesting work showing that men display much higher levels of anger, possibly because it's the one emotion that is "ok" for men to have, or possibly because testosterone causes it, or possibly something else entirely, or possibly it's not true at all.
What about happiness? Or is that not an emotion? Or joy? love? annoyance? depression?

If one is measuring the level of "emotional" by how often one cries, I think it's a useless metric.