Old news article

How are you dealing with or handling this aspect of your life?

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Jadhe
Miss Emerald Goddess

Old news article

Post by Jadhe »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/974784.stm

I bumbed into this little piece while I was browsing through some sites.
I know this news article is few years old, and some of you might have even seen it before, but I still just had to show it to you all.
Little things like this just make me smile. :)

I'm glad some people are more understanding, and accept people as they are.

I really wish I could find out how things turned out for this young boy...or should I say girl. :)
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi Jadhe,

Interesting article and, no, I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks for posting it. I, too, am curious to find out where she is today and how she's coped.

I think the school authorities are way off base in their assumption that Judge Gile's sexual orientation had anything to do with her ruling. Such obvious small-mindedness irks me no end.

Down with the "stifling of selfhood," I say!

Love,
CJ
Beauty
Retired Site Administrator

Post by Beauty »

Sweet find Jadhe!!! :)

*-* ^@^ *-*

Beauty
Jadhe
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Jadhe »

I agree that it was quite silly for the authorities to assume something like that about the Judge. But I suppose some people just are ready to try anything in order to win.

Even though it's not said in that article, I appears that his/her (not sure what to use...) parents also fully accept and support their son, as they they were willing to take this matter into court.

But more than anything, I really admire this girl, as she had the courage to go to school dressed the way he wanted to dress. I think we all know how mean teenagers can be, especially to those who are bit different from the masses. I would really want to meet this girl face to face, and tell him how much I admire her.

And the fact that I am only few years older than this brave girl, makes me admire him even more. She's a real modern day hero! :)
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Hey Jadhe,

Does this inspire you to be more out yourself?

I totally think that girls/women are more accepting of this these days for their mates. Especially if they are upfront. (not the majority, but more than ever)

Just curious.

Beauty
Jadhe
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Jadhe »

It might inspire me. But more than that, it encourages me. it makes me think that if some brave 15 year old has the courage to be what he wants to be, then perhaps I will find that courage inside of myself as well. :)

If women can wear mens clothing, then why couldn't men wear womens clothing? :wink:
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

:) I think you'll get a lot of Amens for that one. :)

Beauty
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

Here is the article Jadhe was referencing, not too long I think.

"An American schoolboy, who was excluded from lessons for dressing as a girl, has won the right to return to the classroom.
A judge ruled the 15-year-old from Massachusetts should not be barred from class while wearing female dress such as high heels, wigs and padded bras. "

"School authorities had claimed the student's actions were "disruptive", had upset parents and pupils and had led to confrontations in the classroom. "

"The boy was referred to a therapist last year who diagnosed him with gender identity disorder."

"The therapist suggested that forcing the teenager to wear boys' clothing could endanger his mental health. "

'Stifling of selfhood'

"At a court hearing, Judge Linda Giles said the school's stance amounted to "the stifling of a person's selfhood, merely because it causes some members of the community discomfort"."

"She ruled that the teenager should be allowed to wear any clothing or accessories that any other male or female pupil might wear. "

"Pupils should be exposed to differences in other people at an early age, so that they learn tolerance, she added. "

"The school authorities said they may consider an appeal against the ruling."

"Earlier they had asked Judge Giles to come off the case, because she is a lesbian."
"It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,"
David Weber – In Fury Born