It started with Aunty

Every story begins somewhere, so tell us how you got started crossdressing. Only one (1) topic per member, please!

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Joanne Mason
Miss Crystal Goddess

It started with Aunty

Post by Joanne Mason »

Despite my introductory post, suggesting that CDing is a new phenomenon for me, I guess my interest was sparked when I was 7.

For a while I was staying at my Grandmother's house and I used to sleep in a double bed with my Aunty, who was about 20 at the time. She used to get up quite early each morning and I would always try to secretly watch her getting dressed. This would be about 1962 and she always wore a girdle and stockings. I was fascinated by her ritual of putting on all the layers of her clothes. One night when I went to bed, I rifled through her drawers looking at her underwear. I was particularly fascinated by her girdles and put one on under my pyjamas. I then went to bed and fell asleep. The following morning I was wriggling about trying to get it off when she awoke and shouted at me for waking her up. I waited until she'd left and then took it off and replaced. A good job she wasn't looking to wear it that day! I was thrilled by wearing the girdle and almost being caught doing it, I suppose.

Nothing further happened until I was in my early twenties. I lived on my own for a few years and at that time had a mail order catalogue. I always liked to look at the women's underwear section, but from a male perspective. However, one day for no known reason I thought it would be exciting to order a bra. I bought some balloons and when the bra duly arrived I excitedly filled the ballons with water and put the bra on and slipped the balloons into the cups. I wore the bra on and off for a a few months and then had an attack of guilt and got rid of it.

That was my last such experience for some thirty years. In recent years I have been collection glamour photos from the 50's and early 60's, realising slowly that I am fascinated and excited by the underwear from that period. I became aware that I was drawn particularly to girdles and full cut knickers, just like my Aunty wore all those years ago. I've liked stockings for many years but started to appreciate the 50's RHT and FF styles. I also loved the many layers that women wore in that era, remembering again my Aunty. I loved the ritualistic dressing side of it.
With the break up of a long term relationship some three months ago, I found I was alone again and quite recently decided, just because I could, to order a pair of 50's full cut knickers, just to see what they felt like to wear. They were fabulous and I felt great. One pair became, two, which became three. I then thought I may as well try a girdle, so I ordered one and some stockings. They arrived and it felt delicious wearing the whole ensemble.

Before I realised what was happening I was ordering more underwear, shoes, clothes and a wig from eBay. The floodgates just seemed to have opened all at once. Having acquired something resembling an outfit I couldn't wait to return home from work each day and get properly dressed with all the layers and following the 'ritual' that I used to see my Aunty doing.
From there it was a seemingly simple step to buy some forms, since I was unhappy with the water filled balloons which once again I was using to fill out my bra. Suddenly I wanted real breasts, or as near as possible.
As I trawled the net for information and clothes it slowly dawned on me that I was a cross-dresser, something I hadn't really stopped to think about. I must admit, once I could label myself in that way it came as a bit of a shock. But I thought to myself, "I am enjoying this, so does it matter what label I am saddled with?". I enjoy buying clothes to wear. I enjoy the ritual of dressing. I enjoy being dressed as a woman. I enjoy being a woman.
Yesterday I attended a make-up lesson at a TV establisment in Manchester and wow, was amazed at the transformation. I shall be practising again today and have been inviting to a soiree on Monday evening, which, although I am extremely nervous about, I will dress up and go to.

I think I can best summarise how I feel as, only realising I have been on a journey because I have arrived. If that makes sense?
4" heels..the LAST thing I need.
Susan
Permanently Banned

Post by Susan »

Interesting story Joanne, thank you for sharing it.

I feel echoes in my own story, probably because we are so close in age. I too grew up in the 60's and was subject to a lot of the influences you were, I however have been dressing for as long back as I can remember, my only hiatuses were when I was in the UK Merchant Navy when I was at sea for up to 8 months.

Although times and fashions have changed, I don't see any fall off in people like us, so I guess that its not just the imagery of girdles that creates us.

Regards
Susan

I know some things.
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

Joanne it all makes sense to me.

Not to disparage or disrespect anyone but who's idea was it for a 7 year old boy to share a bed for a 20 year old woman? I'd never have let my daughters sleep with a 20 year old male relative (or non relative either) at that age.

Zari
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Erica S
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Erica S »

Joanne,

thanksfor sharing a wonderful story and welcome.

Erica
If the woman inside of you needs to be free, let it happen, and you can soar.
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

aunties

Post by Janet Bern »

Great story. I also started by wearing my aunts things.. started with a girdle. even thought I was way to big for me. I wore it with stockings. bra and a slip. the only thing that really fit me were her shoes. Janet
Joanne Mason
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Joanne Mason »

Absaroka wrote:Joanne it all makes sense to me.

Not to disparage or disrespect anyone but who's idea was it for a 7 year old boy to share a bed for a 20 year old woman? I'd never have let my daughters sleep with a 20 year old male relative (or non relative either) at that age.

Zari
Those were different times I guess. I think I was staying there whilst my Mother was in hospital, it was only a two bed house and my Aunties double bed was the only option. And anyway, look what it started!
Martina
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Martina »

I am also a 60's child and I can remember from a very young age been facinated by the frilly fashions worn by both adults and little girls of that time. I can clearly remember shopping with female relatives as a very small child and wanting to look at and touch the rows of beautiful lacy underware. I was very envious of my sister and female cousins who wore these clothes and I was facinated by the interest shown by and the attention they got from women about their clothes. I especially remember my granny asking if she could have a look and lifting up the back of party frocks to see if they were wearing "frillies" and the delight she displayed when she saw that ruffled panties were indeed under the dress. All through this time I felt it was so unfair that not only could I not experience the fun of wearing these clothes but I couldn't even appear to be interested. I would have given anything to dress up like that. When I eventually started to experiment with wearing undies at about 11yrs old, it was that style that I searched for and found at the back of my mothers enormous panty drawer. Now nearly 40 years later I am sitting here in my own ruffled panties writing this while having my breakfast. Most of my outer wear would also fit nicely into that era and for a period of my life I had a friend who I dressed up for and he would flick up my dress to check out my panties :oops: and this would bring me back to the 60's.
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: It started with Aunty

Post by Bernice »

Joanne Mason wrote: I think I can best summarize how I feel as, only realizing I have been on a journey because I have arrived. If that makes sense?
Not exactly, not to me. To me, you now realize that you have been on a journey because you now find yourself en-route, figuratively up in the air. You have many places to go and things to do before you arrive. This is a lifelong journey, but you have taken the most important steps, and probably reached the point of no return.

I'm usually more blunt. Does this make sense?

Hugs,

Bernice
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

"I realize I've been on a journey because I have finally arrived." Makes perfect sense to me. I think it conveys nicely the sense of mystery and wonder of all of this.

I'd use the quote myself except I'm still on the journey and haven't arrived yet.
Zari
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Joanne Mason
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Joanne Mason »

Thanks to everyone for your support and understanding.